XP Tweaks for Broadband

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Capp, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hey Guys,

I'm about to have a 50mbps connection at my house (yay), but I have been told that XP has to be "tweaked" via registry optimization to utilize higher speeds.
    Here is the actual quote from the website:
    Been doing some google searching and there are dozens and dozens of sites that have a ton of steps to optimizing, or have a .exe you can download to do it for you.
    A lot of these articles are a few years old, and I'm not about to let a random .exe make alterations to my registry without knowing exactly what is being changed.

I'm very proficient when it comes to editing and tweaking the registry, I'm just not sure what the most advised tweaks are.

So, anybody have a list or link of tweaks to do to maximize internet speed via XP SP3?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I've been using Broadband for some time through Time Warner. I also use XP. I would think that Time Warner would inform their subscribers if a tweek is necessary for XP users to get maximum broadband. I haven't been tipped off by them. However, if someone has a simple tweek I'd like to hear it also. :)

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I've been using TWC's broadband for years too without too many problems, but I'm switching over to their Wideband service, and that is where the quote I posted above came from, on their website.

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I'm pretty sure all the corperate users of Win XP on 100mbps and above LAN connections have never had to tweak anything.

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Do you know that your current settings are sub-optimal and can be improved ?
    A lot of these tweak guides are very blind in their explanation of what the symptom, fix and effect is. I've always wondered if I tweak for the downstream if my upstream (which is usually slower with the average broadband) is affected ?

You are going to know exactly what TCP/IP settings your ISP uses to know what to tweak.

FYI this is the guide provided by my ISP for their 50mb/s service: http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/50mbsupport/optimisation.php

Cheers, Nick.

8. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Here's a utility that works great with XP SP2. I'd assume it works with SP3 as well, though it doesn't say so:

http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=tools

It allows you to make backups of your original settings and tcpip.sys file before you do anything.
    Initially, a full system backup (with Acronis or whatever) might be a good idea too.

You can always do nothing, check what you're getting on one the speed test sites, then run the Event ID 4226 Patcher, change some settings with it, then check again at the same speed tester site/connection to compare and contrast.

A 50 MB connection should give you extremely fast downloads, so a few kbps added here or there might not be something you'll need to be overly concerned about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.