XP Service Pack 1

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by crashandburn, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crashandburn

crashandburn Registered Member

Hi,

I was looking at some of your free tools, particularly ID-Blaster, and came across this pretty alarming message "In fact, the Windows XP SP1 upgrade also includes new spyware that will place a cookie in your root directory that contains ID numbers, and other assorted information about you and your PC."

I've actually installed the Beta version of SP1 on this machine and am wondering just how much info I'm giving back to Microsoft. I've checked dear old Bill's company sites but they seem astonishingly reticent about this cookie.

I gather the cookie is essential to link product IDs to such bits as Windows Media Player, but is there any more info about this? Will the cookie and requirement for product IDs to be consistent cause problems for privacy software (I use AdAware 5.83+ and SpyBot S&D 1.0 for those purposes).

2. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Give this link a try:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_sp1_preview.asp

Ciao,

Smokey

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks for the link Smokey!

Eh, really? :mad: , I'll stick with my W98SE or time for another OS.....

4. root

root Registered Member

All your base are belong to M$. He he :D

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Ain't it the truth. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.