XP question- can an admin account find LUA passwords?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have a friend who is considering a LUA for the family computer. She asked a question - if she has an admin account can she find out the LUA passowrds (for her kids) if she has to. Anyone know?

thanks

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

No, but she can easily change or even remove the passwords of limited accounts, thereby gaining access to them if need be. It's just done from control panel-> user accounts.

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

There are plenty of ways to get Win passwords.

Just search in youtube for "windows passwords"...lots of tutorials

4. acr1965

I think she is concerned that her son may change his password. She was just concerned that if he changes his password whether she can access it somehow.

5. acr1965

thanks, will check that out

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Without some sort of unscrupulous hacking, probably not. In the case you mention, there is still no problem for her as admin to simply change it back to what it was. Btw, I checked out a few on youtube out of curiosity, and they were either different, more roundabout ways than the one I initially mentioned, or they seem to be outright hacks, which I would not recommend her trying. The safe method as admin allows easy deletion or changing of limited account passwords, not actually accessing them to see what they are. AFAIK, there is no "legitimate" way of accomplishing the latter.

If it is XP Pro, there might be a way through the group policy editor to prevent changing the passwords of limited accounts.

7. acr1965

So if the original password is, for instance, 123456, and her son changes it to abcdef, she can change it back to 123456 with no problem? She does not need to know the new password? That seems like it would work fine.

thanks for the info

8. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Even if her kids change the password she as the admininstar would still have 100% access to her kids areas on the computer. As already mentioned she can also reset the password or assign another, even lock them out if desired.

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Absolutely :thumb: Also, what chris said is 100% valid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.