XP PRO "trivia..."

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Jan 16, 2003
    I've had WINXP PRO for a short time, and am no authority on it by any means: I'm trying to find out how to get to a clean/pure DOS prompt, so as to run SprinRite & try to save a drive on its way out.

So... if I'm in/on The DeskTop - how do I get hither and yon, to lean mean clean dark superfast DOS prompt? Help appreciated! ;-)

Thanks, SG1 (Pat)
    *** Newer C drive (with XP PRO) is NTFS (or NFTS), whereas other two are FAT32 - including one that's failing.
    *** Also, I forgot to ask this: am using Sygate Pro f'wall, and I can't get that puppy to launch, then shrink to SysTray as do all other apps. It - smc.exe - does show as a running process but why does it not behave as other apps do?

I have Startup Control Panel & Code Stuff Starter, and I can move apps around, to run from varied places but I still can't get f'wall to launch then shrink to SysTray; can even checkbox spot in the f'wall to start at bootup - but it doesn't. Why not? OR, is it an app that merely/normally runs as a process and perhaps pops up when/if needed?

Thanks again, for help/info. SG1 (Pat)
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  2. jd500c

jd500c Registered Member

Sep 30, 2005
    If you're running Windows NT, 2000, or Windows XP and need to get to MS-DOS prompt follow the below steps.

Click Start
    Click Run
    Type "cmd" or "command" and press enter.
  3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

May 28, 2004
    Portland, OR (USA)
    Actually NT/2000/XP/2003 are not DOS based, so there's no way to get to a REAL DOS prompt, although you can drop to a command prompt (DOS-like). If you use the FAT/FAT32 file system you can use a boot-disk to access the partitions, though.
  4. _Lyn_

_Lyn_ Guest

If you created a Spinrite CD insert the disk into your CDROM and power off/restart the computer.

If you created a Spinrite 3.5 floppy insert the disk and power off/restart. If your computer boots normally into Windows, you need to reset your bios to boot from 3.5. Then insert disk and reboot.
  5. Hi Pat,

Sorry I can't comment on Sygate's bootup issue, but you should be able to access options for it's tray icon off the main screen in *tools.*

I found this for you too, just replace the x's ....

Plus there's far more than they tell you about ....

Good luck with that puppy! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.