XP Pro - The end is nigh (30th June). Support ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by NGRhodes, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Note, this is not an OS bashing thread, its about discussing different options available.

Windows XP reaches its sell-by date in a few days (with the exception of XP Home "either June 30, 2010, or one year after the general availability of the next version of Windows").
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

Mainstream support ends 4/14/2009. That's only 10 months full support left !
    Extended support ends 4/8/2014.
    Which is security fixes only, no new versions of browsers, media players or support for newer products (eg though, doubtful, next version of office might not support XP due to using a Vista only feature that will not get backported to XP).

Even with XP SP3 only recently been released, Microsoft clearly states:
    "When support for a product ends, support of the service packs for that product will also end." http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...cycle&LN=EN-US&x=20&y=10#Service Pack Support

Will XP's extended support be enough for those who want to continue using XP ?

Will people who intially dismissed Vista, consider upgrading to Vista in the near future ?

Or will people who do not want to or cannot (eg people with ultra portable and sub notebooks) use Vista yet, hold out with XP until the next version of Windows is out in 2010 (which IMHO will be a massive success - http://www.ngrhodes.co.uk/article-159-why-windows-7-will-be-a-massive-success) ?

Or will people start migrating away from Vista to Mac or Linux ?

I have always been a fan of Linux, and if I wanted to move to Linux 100% tomorrow (I am currently happy with XP though).
    I have 3 personal machines that do not meet the specification to run Vista and have no need to upgrade them to anything faster, so upgrading to Vista is not an option.
    So I still need to decide to keep XP until Windows 7 comes out or move at-least partially to Linux.

Please discuss :)

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i think the standard chain will continue. when xp first came out everyone said its rubbish now everyone uses and quite a few people at least atm wont touch vista but once soon enough everyone will use vista and will diss the next versions of windows. vista sure was major flaky before service
    maybe windows 7 will and will be faster and be alot more stable. at this time we can only guess. only time will tell.
    most users wont care what operating system they use as long as its easy to use and supports the programs and hardware they want to use.

i like linux but at times it seems a harder learning curve. the thing is i learnt alot of windows very quickly since from using windows 95 when i was a kid. i think if and when linux is the mainstream it will be quick to learn using it every day. somethings in Linux are actually easier. for example installing opera in opensuse using the package manager is easier and quicker than installing opera in windows.
    the fact that with some linux distros automatically set it up to have a separate home partition so if you want to upgrade to the new version you wont lose your data.
    there can be stable easy to use versions for most users while people who want to beta test and mess around with there OS still can with someone else making those distros.

i wont mind switching to linux but i dont think i would ever buy a mac. its to restricted IMHO. i like to choose what componants i want in my computer or laptop and you cant do that with a mac.
    just think about when apple told microsoft they couldnt have windows media player bundled with xp, then why the hell is apple allowed to bundle itunes with a mac? stupid isnt it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It's actually a fairly complicated situation for each of us.

On the desktops, I have one multiboot Linux/Win machine, but it mainly runs XP since while virtually all of the key applications are not Win specific (I'm thinking Office here), there aren't Linux based replacements for some specialized items.

More to the immediate point - I'm looking at the ultraportable market these days (Asus eee PC and related machines) to go fully electronic for simple meeting/on-the-fly note taking tasks. Basic Win or Linux works fine here. At the moment I'm conflicted on this decision due to a few small productivity utilities that I could also use on this machine that may or may not have a direct replacement available in Linux. Mac is not an option at the moment for this area, but would be considered if they released a sub-Macbook. I could also dual boot this is needed and sacrifice space for flexibility.

So..., while the noise revolves around OS's, the decision revolves around the available application base. For basic office stuff, it really doesn't matter a whole lot. When you get beyond that, different forces can push in different directions

Blue

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Nickr

I personally am sticking with XP for a while. I do put Vista Ultimate on my most powerful machine to play and test a couple of apps. It's got a few features that are neat, it's pretty, and for me slower. Still a few things i haven't gotten to work.

As to Office 2007, I doubt they will make it incompatible to XP in the near future. To many business's aren't switching, and all they'd do is kill Office sales. That would really be dumb.

Pete

5. NGRhodes

Lodore,
    I think Vista is mature enough to seriously consider, one thing I forgot to mention is, I would like to see more firm plans on Microsoft's roadmap for the next version of Windows and beyond.
    Funnily Vista is getting pretty stable in my support experience, to the point where I get more problems with installed software than the OS itself.

Blue,
    One thing to consider is Wine/Virtualisation.
    I need to run internet explorer for example, but it runs great using Wine.

Peter,
    I am in no rush, but I think its something to strongly consider and I bet that Slashdot and other tech sites will have a critical view.

Office 2007, what about support for the next share point which requires the next version of IE for example (we have issues with sharepoint and browser compatibility at the moment), which XP won't get (well unless Microsoft decide to be "kind" ;), which i suspect they might be to their corperate pocket liners).

6. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I'll keep xp until, well, the programs I want won't work with it.

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello:

Just to be contrarion, I'll say stick with XP SPx untill some powerfull force prys it from my cold dead hands.:cool:

I see no such force at the moment.:D

PS I know guys still running win 98! No support? Does it really matter?

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Echo that.
    Need MS for some special databases.
    There is a MAC equivalent: which may push that choice. :doubt:
    Can even carry the data over to Mac.

Rather than go multiboot atthis stage I am using VMs while learning *nixes
    Mac has Parallels or Fusion if and when the need comes to continue and/or provide a different base system...see the pattern :cautious:

I don't need much portable stuff: can record as required.
    Can use thumb drives to keep bootable Linux if needed.
    CAn access local services if rerquired.
    Can carry docs etc on thumb drives and use as required.

Yes.

I suspect there will be enough temporal overlap 'till Windows7 is here.

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.
    I have ditched XP months ago and I don't plan to ever look back. Vista is fine, needs some tweaking from defaults (doesn't XP too?), but it is generally a good OS. I used to bash it as many do, but I have found my way through it and am quite content. Vista proves to be a nice challenge, just as XP once was, and this is (to me at least) one of the main reasons I use MS OSes. As I am not married to any software, I don't really care what will happen to XP in the near future. They can kill it today as far as I'm concerned. It is time to go with the flow.

Cheers,

10. HAN

HAN Registered Member

If Dell repair can get my brand new Vostro laptop (with XP Pro SP3) to stop blue screening, then I'll be very happy with it. I did not want Vista (and I have worked on several in a support role...)

11. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Why should I pay big money for Vista when XP Pro is doing the job perfectly for what I use it? Same thing I never drives the latest car model.
    So, I will stick to XP until 2014 and then only God knows where I might be anyway...;)

12. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

I think XP will be around for a good while because of the hesitancy of the corporate world to trust Vista. Home users will continue to lead the charge on Vista's behalf.

Having to load up XP with a ton of security software has become comical to me, so I've made the permanent switch to Vista HP after some back and forth between XP Pro, Linux, and Vista. I've concluded I need less security software for my setup with Vista than I would for XP. Even less is needed for Linux and that's the most compelling attraction to their OSssssss. :D

I've grown to appreciate Vista's aesthetics and see the same kind of aesthetic movement in the Linux community. But after a short time of using Mandriva 2008 and PCLOS 2007 I returned to Vista. Too many unknown software choices in Linux, and too much love for Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance to give up on Vista.

I'm tempted by Linux, but so far I can't find the distro to make a permanent switch away from Vista. It would be nice if Windows 7 could get it right this time (lighter on the system with excellent security). :thumb:

13. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

That's a very reasonable attitude.

I just had a run with a Vista Toshiba laptop: not bad, just a lot of configs that needed tweaking: all set-up with baseline that seemed restrictive after using my trimmed down XP for some time. Some settings hard to get at (learning curve) and a distinct slow down apparent on a slightly underspec laptop.
    Dont really understand the 'blind them with utilities' approach: too much fluff.
    Give me the house that works and let me decide the fit-out.

Yes. There are alternatives if you want.

heh heh
    I prolly shouldn't comment on updating or changing: still driving a 1998 Volvo.
    :eek:

14. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Companies (at least the one I work for) will likely 'dance to Microsoft's tune' and move on to Vista, Windows 7, and whatever.

For home use and home-office use, XP will probably live on for quite a while, or at least as long as our legacy PC's hold-up! Wearing my 'home user hat', I find XP to be very mature/stable and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't really require any further support from MS.

15. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

IMO, no. You might be surprised at how many people use an "obsolete" (says who?) OS. I know several still using Win2K and two who use Win98.

I'm very happy with my Desk system and Win2K for my home office and personal use. As Jo Ann implies, we are under no obligation to upgrade to the latest version of something.

I confess, though, to admitting that the day will probably come when I will need to upgrade the OS
    if something I want/need to install won't run on Win2K.

In the meantime, I'm happy with the state of things as is.

----
    rich

16. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I think the problem is that there is no compelling reason to move to Vista. So MS ending support seems to be a heavy handed approach to move everyone off XP.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't see any reason at all to be concerned about XP. I'd continue to use it for as long as I liked if that were my choice. In fact, I still use Win2k when I run Win, support or no support, I don't really care. I believe XP will be around for years to come. Slowly Vista will become more dominant as it is sold on new machines. I am running Linux right now, as I think the new SUSE 11 is quite good. But I do flip flop between Linux and Win frequently. But if XP were my choice, I'd not worry at all about the end of support. I don't think it really makes much difference if you're behind a router with some decent security apps and so on.

18. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

If Windows 2000 offered support for Cleartype, I would still be using this Windows release. Most additional XP features are also available from third party software.

When I reinstall Windows 2000, I'm shocked how fast this baby runs. And it shows how customers settle for lower performance on the same hardware with each newer release.

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Off topic post removed. This is about the "end" of XP, not about recovery solutions.

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I fit squarely in this category. Like Pete, i'm sticking with XP Pro till the cows come home or another version surfaces that can without a doubt prove it's marketability unlike Vista. Besides i already have Vista everything but it's kernel & UAC on my XP Pro? That would never justify dumping XP for Vista and at the same time having to fork out for a higher end system just for Vista.

If i'm going to do that, it's going to be only for XP Pro untill, like i said, they ever publish and distribute another O/S that proves it's worth all the time, money, and change of software programs.

Or, who knows, if Linux or one of those rise to the occasion, that may take some serious looking into also.

EASTER

21. NGRhodes

Kerodo,

There are a few issues around using XP for a long time.

Application support slips, this happened with Win98 and Win2K to a lesser extent, app developers target the newer OS and Apps work sub-standard on older architecture or not at all, for example windows media player, direct X (and this then cascades to graphic card drivers).

The other is Microsoft releasing fixes. IE6 on Win2k and XP had the same bug, but only XP got the fix, or how about this one: http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/22/040221

"Microsoft denies that the bug is a security vulnerability, since an attacker would have to have gained administrative access to a system before exploiting it. (The Israeli researchers point out that many common exploits provide admin access.) This stance apparently lets them off the hook for patching Win2K, which is in "extended support" mode, though it powers about 9% of US and EU business computers. Microsoft said that XP SP3, due in the first half of next year, will fix the bug."

Might or might not be an issue for you, but its something to consider if you plan to stick with XP.

Wilbert,

It was not until XP SP2 came out that I upgraded because that was the point where it did I wanted as good as Win2K, up-to that point, it was always inferior (for my needs).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  22. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

My home plan is: stick with Lenny, stick with VirtualBox, progressively stop using XP partition.
    Medium/Long term - delete XP partition.

If in a few years i'll need Windows, it's probably not going to be XP, and it won't run on my laptop (duh). I'll think about it when the time comes, for now i don't care.

23. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

XP equalls IMO the exception to that trend. All one need do is look at current/recent security software developments, as for other applications support, of course theres been a slow, very slow migration to supporting Vista in comparison, so i cannot agree in all honesty nor see proof of any application support slips regarding XP whereby in contrast the mere inclusion to making applications Vista compatible is been very slow at best.

The end is definitely not near for XP, especially where Vista is concerned, another O/S "maybe", but definitely not Vista. Microsoft's stock in reality & very current is taken a turn downward because of the disappointment experienced in Vista.

I would venture to say XP will stand formidable beyond Vista which it already is continuing to do.

25. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

While some people may still be using Windows 98, or Windows 2000 10 years after the fact, Come 2014, people wont' be able to still be using Windows XP. Why? That little tidbit of code that every legitimate installation of XP has. "Windows Genuine Advantage." In 2014, when Windows XP is no longer supported, you can bet that Microsoft is going to shut down the WGA Servers. What will happen to all those installs of XP when they start phoning home and getting no answer? Ooh, must not be a valid install or somethings not right on this end so it'll deactivate the install.(Edit: Whoops, spoke before I fact checked... XP Won't die, but it will turn into some serious Nagware.)

I mean, Microsoft already has shown that it believes it owns the right to "pull the plug" on DRM servers, by killing the MSN Music servers. Users who have purchased music from MSN Music will over time lose access to their legally purchased music, because they can no longer play it on different machines or reinstalls.

After 2014, if we still have the ability to use XP, we'll probably still have lost the ability to install it. That is, unless we find less than legal solutions, because of Windows Product Activation.

I'm surprised more people haven't made a bigger impression regarding this. I mean, this also gives MS the perfect "forced upgrade" path. "Oh, your still on XP? You need to upgrade to Windows X, because after XX your Windows will no longer work." The same will hold true of MS Office. When MS decides they wish to no longer let people use Office 2K3, because of newer versions out, just take the activation servers offline. Software as a rental has slipped in nearly 8 years ago, and people don't even realize it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.