XP is taking a while to shutdown

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by wanchan, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanchan

wanchan Registered Member

Hi, I just started using ProcessGuard 3 paid version.

This might well NOT be contributed to the use of ProcessGuard. After I installed PG3, XP started to taking longer time to shutdown or reboot, up to 3 mins. My XP used to shutdown/reboot in less 1 min.

Anyone else is experiencing? What is the possible cause might be? Thanks for advising.

2. WYBaugh

WYBaugh Registered Member

Hi,

One thing you may want to check is that you do not have your page file being cleared on shutdown.

Please check that the following registry value is not set to 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\ClearPageFileAtShutdown

May not be the issue but worth a quick check.

Thanks,

Bill

3. wanchan

Just ck'd. It's shown as follows.

Value data: 0
    Hexadecimal checked

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi wanchan, This problem does sffect some machines and has been addressed in an updated version, no release date as yet.
    Try disabling Execution Protection before closing down as this may solve your problem temporarily.

HTH Pilli

5. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

I had the same problem initially. I waited for ages and ages for the PC to log off or reboot. However, after about 3 reboots the problem disappeared and never came back again. PILLI - the famous PILLI - told me that it was probably hyper-threading. It might have also been something that PG didn't detect initially in learning mode also.

So I wouldn't worry to much about it unless it doesn't correct itself like mine did.

Dave

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Dave, :)
    Sure you don't meqan infamous? :cool:

Jason has been working on the pgaccount issues and, hopefully, the corrected version will be with you soon ;)

Cheers. Pilli

7. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

You are famous for being so good and helpful to everyone here Pilli!!

I never had anymore issues with that problem once I rebooted about 3 times so it seems like it was a problem that remedied itself but could scare off a new user. I was thinking about restoring an image file until I found it worked after the reboots but even turning off PG didn't fix it so it felt as if I needed to restore Windows. Lucky I didn't.

8. wanchan

Thanks for headsup. It is good to see DCS is responsive to issues like this and working on resolutions. Some other companies might make irrelevent blames or simply keep quiet. They sicken me. I am glad I chose DCS's product :) Keep us posted on this. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.