XP installation on VMware

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by iceni60, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i'm thinking about installing XP in VMware server and i was wondering which product key i should use? - i have two XP licences, but only one XP install disc. i don't have XP installed at all on any PC! the disc is the one from MS like this - (so, i think that can be used with any computer o_O)

http://xs114.xs.to/xs114/07162/xp-cd.jpg

it came with an old PC, but i want to install it on my newer, faster computer which didn't come with any MS cds.

so, which product key should i use? both keys are on the side of the computer cases, and again they aren't being used.

should i use the key from the computer i'm installing it on - the newer, faster PC, that the cd didn't come with? or the key from the old PC that came with the cd, but isn't the computer with VMware Server on?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    It does not matter. Any which you like.
    Use the old key, I say.
    Mrk

3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Try either of them. I installed to VMWARE using my volume license key. Everything will go without a hitch.

But now i have a question since this topic touches on VMWARE. How in the heck to i install a 98SE with my disk? It's not so simple it seems. Do i need to use a 98 start up floppy with the CD in the drive and then type at the command prompt? I think i tried that but it refused to recognize my CD drive letter. (Puzzled)

4. Mrkvonic

Hello,

I did install Win 98 without (many) problems. It first asked for partitioning. After reboot, it asked for actual installation. If you want more than basic partitioning / format, then you should use fdisk or alike.

As to detecting drives, you could assign a specific drive letter for the vmware machine to recognize rather than a generic address.

Mrk

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thank You Mrkvonic

I'm used to testing softs & mals on a "live" machine so this is a bit of a side-road for me. I'll take your advice and i'm sure it'll install finally.

6. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Feel free to contact me if you got questions how to configure the .vmx and such. Or how to configure a particular setup.
    Mrk

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

great, thanks for the help. i fixed my other drive, so i'm using it for VMs. i want to see how i like XP, then i'll decide if i'm going to do system hardening for other people. i'm not really sure i know what i'm doing with XP any more :D

8. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I did that a little while ago with a win98 iso.
    So, the virtual CD was attached to the iso, but assigning the real letter to the CD drive would work too.
    And yes, I booted from dos floppy and changed to the CD.

http://www.geocities.com/wilbert_vanbakel/graphics/01_win98.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.