XORG 1.6

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lodore, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,

The Xorg project has changed the default DontZap setting to "true" after complaints from desktop users that accidentally hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace when trying to type Alt+Backspace, Ctrl+Backspace, or Shift+Backspace, or who had StickyKeys enabled. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is also a keyboard shortcut for deleting certain expressions in C and Java modes in Emacs.

lots of people have being complaining it about since for the adverage user at least it means if X ever stops working they have to reboot so its about as useful as windows lol.
    more knowledable users could go to tty1 and then login again to get back to tty5.

to renable the function you can do the following
    add: Option "DontZap" "false"
    to the ServerFlags section in xorg.conf.

I have uploaded an image of the xorg.conf from ubuntu jaunty beta running in virtualbox.
    what section do i add the option to?

pretty much all distro next releases are shipping with xorg 1.6 so i want to know where to add the option to renable it.

Attached Files:

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Very useful to know.

FYI, it is straightforward to kill X from a command, change to a different tty (eg ctrl-alt-f1) and then login and type "killall Xorg" (you may need to su/sudo if not root privileges).

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello N1ckR,
    I thought there would be a simple command to restart X.
    thanks

i always thought the key combo to restart X was very useful.
    would of been much better to add an option to remap it.
    for most users the standard kill combo causes no issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.