WSA v8.0.2.127 Released

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Triple Helix, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

This looks to be an awesome update! Thanks to Joe and everyone at Webroot.

Question and I hate to ask here. My subscription ran out about a month ago. Money is tight right now. Does anyone know of any steep discounts anywhere? If not, its ok, but would like to stick with WSA if I can.

Thanks.

2. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

That is awesome, thanks! However I need at least a three user license. :(

4. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

5. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Added
    A registry value of type DWORD named NoStatistics under HKCU\Software\WRData which, when set to 1, disables the behavior statistics on the status screen

Will this tweak need be done on each new version released in the future?
    thanks you G

6. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Hope that answers you to some extent, G :thumb:
    Have a happy Easter man :)

7. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

The registry persists through updates, however not through full un/reinstalls.

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

For now, yes on new installs/reinstalls. According to Joe, it's a rare feature request, but some UI changes are planned for the 2014 line anyway. To quote Joe:

9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

All good here: nice tweak :)

That counter rolling along distracts the eye and no real use afaics, despite the 'rare' nature of request to turn off.
    "250 Billion since install" I'm impressed, but what does that mean: :cautious:

Thats just for 21 days: going to run out of numbers !! :eek:

How about a reg tweak to turn off that usage stat across the bottom of the GUi : distracts from nice clean lines imho and again what use really ?

Regards

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  10. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

It's a counter of the exact number of events analyzed by WSA - you can click View Detail to see additional information about each of the events. It is extremely useful for our debugging and for advanced users to diagnose problems.

We can't make everything configurable (soon we'll have people wanting to change individual words, make the UI print backwards, and replace WSA icons with custom pictures :)). The botton line is a highly requested and frequently used area to show exactly how much impact WSA has on the system (something we pride ourselves in but previously didn't prove).

11. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Sorry, it still seems silly to me. Looks like you're trying too hard to impress someone.

12. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Is it technically possible to add the granularity WSA offers on Win7 to Win8 (i.e. firewall settings)?

Regards,

Gabe

13. fax

fax Registered Member

No, not possible. Due to win8.

14. Techfox1976

I dunno. It's one thing to say "It's light". It's another thing to prove it. Considering that perfmon matches that status, including the kernel driver, and shows other "light" stuff sitting at hugely higher resource usage, they're just putting their reality out for all to see: It's light. That's something nobody else can say.

15. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

The tweak should be made into an .exe so the user can't bork the registry, ease of use is important, I would not want my customers bricking their machines because I'm too lazy to write a scrip/exe to do it for them.

16. Techfox1976

No reason for most users to worry about it. I mean, seriously, the data is there literally because the vast majority of trial users would install, forget about it, and then at the end of the trial it would say "Okay, pay for me" at which point they'd say "Wait, pay for what? What did you do?" So that display is to show what it's done. :p Very few folk actually bother to open the UI regularly and few of those who do care about the numbers or are worried about them.

17. Taliscicero

Still, they offer how to change the registry, they should make a program/scrip to do it so people don't brick their machine by mistake, its just neglect not to.

18. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

It's certainly not neglect imo, instead it's a registry tweak for use by the few who've complained about the statistics. If they issued an .exe as you suggest it would be like releasing a patch for a fault or bug, and average users if they saw it would think something's wrong with WSA.
    Personally the statistics don't bother me at all and one doesn't spend much time usually (:D) staring at the main GUI.
    On a side note I believe the method of calculating the "Average scan time" shown could be changed (if possible/agreed) as it seems to include right-click scans also, and would be better just to average the default scans imo.

19. PrevxHelp

We could supply a .reg file if needed, but at this point, the only users who have complained are well versed in registry editing so I'm not as concerned.

20. Taliscicero

Your assuming they are well versed. It takes almost no time to provide the file for them as well, so why resist?

21. PrevxHelp

Mostly because I'm traveling right now and have only a cellphone to post on, but I'll upload one soon :)

22. Taliscicero

Nice of you, I only mention it because its so easy to mess up your registry if you don't know what your doing, and some people are just clumsy. ;)

23. Techfox1976

If you give a mouse a cookie...

^.^

24. PrevxHelp

Attached is the NoStatistics registry entry - just rename it to .reg to import it.

Attached Files:

25. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I still have a problem with WSA eating the first character when I enter my banking account on HTTPS:.
    I thought this was solved a while ago. (?)

Regards,
    François

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.