WSA, Registry entries and uninstall

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

When I uninstall WSA, it still shows in uninstall programs even though it uninstalled. I click uninstall again and it tells me it has uninstalled and do I want it removed from list.

Then it leaves 2 folders in both Program File and program Data which is fine because I just delete them.

Then I reboot and open IE 10 and it asks if I want to enable the WSA toolbar. WTF

So I open regedit and control F and type Webroot. A lot of entries are left behind, a lot. Especially related to the toolbar and vault. I am not complaining Joe because most software does but, to have such a so called small installer it leaves some ~Snip~ behind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

You have to uninstall while connected to the internet. Go through through the process of commenting why you would like to uninstall( browser with webroot webpage opens during uninstall). Restart. No more probs or leftovers. The only leftover in my case is a WSA exe in Program Files folder which I can easily delete. Nothing else.:)

If you still have leftovers I think Joe would need to intervene.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am connected to the internet. I have done this over 50 times and it is always the same results.

Trust me, just because someone says something doesn't make it accurate.

4. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I also found out the WRKRN service is left behind.

5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

It definitely shouldn't be doing this (and I've just tried it here on two PCs and it uninstalled completely cleanly). Could you let me know exactly how you installed it (using the MSI installer, or the normal executable based installer)?

Also, is there any chance any other security software would be blocking WSA from uninstalling (i.e. a HIPS which blocks system changes)?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  6. PrevxHelp

wrkrn is removed automatically but the OS requires a reboot to fully flush out the service.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Well I've never had that in my case. I've like done this 100s of times. I'm like always uninstalling and reinstalling WSA as I try different setups. Internet Connection always uninstalls WSA fine. ;)

Just couldn't agree more.:thumb:

I agree with @PrevxHelp. Maybe something wrong with WSA in @trjam and @fblais' cases.

Just my two cents.;)........

8. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

And have you checked your registry because even if there are no remnants in the Program files or other folders, still there are a number of entries in the registry, mostly connected to the toolbar and password manager.

9. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Not here, sorry.
    I've seen that many many times, and no later than 2 days ago, on W7 this time.
    Previously it was on XP.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh! Then I must shut up. I don't use Complete.:D

11. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

I have seen the situation trjam describes a couple of times and have had to resort to manually removing registry entries etc.
    However this following entry is always left on my W7 x64 computer after an uninstall and it stays there for weeks until I manually delete it, reboots do not remove it.

Program files(x86)\Common Files\WRuninstall

It is listed as an application of 9,612kb.
    Why is this always left behind and why is it an x86 (32 bit) entry when I have a 64 bit computer system and Webroot is installed in Program Files x64 ?

I am using WSA beta if that makes any difference.

12. PrevxHelp

That is the uninstaller for the Lastpass toolbar in WSA Complete. It should be auto-removed, but I'll bring it up with them to see why it isn't in your case.

Thanks!

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

seen this numerous times. something with the last pass toolbar. ill uninstall and REBOOT and the toolbar remains and ie still shows it and asks if it should enable it. however i found out now a quick run of ccleaner and a reboot and then its gone from ie. not sure why it takes removing those registry entries to make the toolbar go away but it does i can duplicate this many times.

on the files and reg entries left behind i can say i have seen this happen even times when wsa will actually reinstall itself!! but when this happens i reinstall it then remove it from only the programs list in control panel and not the exe and the reboot and usually 9.9 out of 10 that works. kind of a pain but that fixes it almost every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.