wow f-secure made my system crawl

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i mean even just opening folders and programs was wayyyyyyy to slow. it was really ridiculous. and i had some crazy cpu usage for about 5 min after startup... looked like a really good program imo but no thanks...

2. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

What's version? Previous than 2008 version was very high but 2008 is ok here... A lot of processes but no high resource usage and no slow down...

3. zfactor

it was 2008... i mean everything was so slow. even just to open a notepad file.. i used the f-secure uninstaller rebooted and everything is fine now. i even reinstalled it a second time to see if that was def what caused the slowdown and it def was..

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Did you check the minimum and recommended requirementso_O I used the 2006 version (from my ISP) with no slowdown. With everything enabled, it ran over 100MB/ram with over 10 processes running (with all the ISP's add-ons), and it caused no slowdown at allo_O

5. zfactor

its a pentium 4 3.2 oc'ed to 4.1 on water... 2gb of ram running windows vista ultimate. made it feel like i went to a old school pentium 2 or something it was that bad avira and nod are light as can be

6. 19monty64

Mine is a pentium 4/2.9ghz/1gb of ram running windows xp-pro, and comodo's fw had the same effect on my pc as f-secure on yours, go figureo_O

7. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I'm using in an Athlon 64 3000+ with 512MB RAM with no problems. Your problrm is not only FS... maybe a conflit or something else... Try to send an e-mail to support... They are very fast and will help you...

8. zfactor

well fs def has something to do with it as i said i uninstall it and the system rund perfect now.. it could be a conflict... but im sure that will be something that needs some digging to find..

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

or maybe....

you have installed, and rebooted....

when it comes back on, it still has 'several' parts to install, you can check this within the program, maybe after it was rebooted during installation, you thought this was the end, and the slowness prompted you to say this.

check that all modules are installed within the program
    fully update it
    then reboot.

enjoy, its certainly not heavy. (aka 2007)

10. zfactor

i did several reboots. i dont think that was the issue man.. i really did like the program and it seemed to be very thorough and i do wish i could trial it again but there is no way i can run it the way it was on this system...and the price is no longer 39.00 it went back to 79 it looks like a bit expensive imo..for a single user??

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the price is cheaper than kaspersky

12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I believe the license is for up to 3 users which isn't that bad imo.

13. zfactor

yes but i looked yesterday and that price was at 39.95, so they just changed it for today i guess. at 39.95 i would have prob tried it then if i didnt like it ehh no biggie

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

for the UK site, its still:

1 user: £34.95
    3 user: £39.95

which is, cheaper than kasperskys.

do you expect it for $40?

15. zfactor

they had a special that was 39.95 us dollars up till yesterday

16. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

Hey Factor did you use a registry cleaner like regsupreme to clean up after the install & what AV did you have on previously,you may have stuff left behind.. the reports your giving based on your machine shouldn't be that slow. I would mention to read my post earlier in the thread the 5 minute start up scan is not unusual. Hopefully you use you machine more than the 1st 5 minutes so to me not a biggie, ;-) but to each his own...

17. zfactor

i run jv16powertools. i also used a uninstaller to remove the previous av's. i cleaned the reg with jv16. i mean i def did everything the right way. it did settle down after the start up period no question during that time i almost could not even open a window at all. but even after the cpu dropped back to near 0 it made everything just feel like i was working in slow motion..

18. apm

apm Registered Member

what is the 'F-Secure Pegasus'? it seems is from norman, the nvcbin.def is really huge of 57mb.

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I believe it's Normans Sandbox.

http://www.f-secure.com/f-secure/pressroom/protected/prot-3-2006/17-459-3669.shtml

20. RVJ

RVJ Registered Member

So the nvcbin.def sitting in my temp file is related to F-Secure then? I emailed them and there reply back was that it was not related to their product. I had just installed 2008 and also some game mods that day. Been driving crazy because I saw that it was Norman.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated about what it is and what it is doing.

Thanks

21. 19monty64

If it's a temp-file, look here, as this person had similar problem. (and had to delete it in safe-mode)

22. onearmbandit

onearmbandit Registered Member

Remnants of other AV/FW products will cause issues.
    I assume you had not changed Real-time scanning to all files as this will obviously slow down the system.

How clean was the system before installation? Had a friend that used Norton before FSIS and was reporting it was very slow. Checked and no Norton stuff left but what was causing the issue was VX2 infections that went through Norton. Cleaned em out, set manual scan to All Files and run full scan with FSIS, after which performance was as should be.

23. apm

apm Registered Member

f-secure antivirus seems becoming heavier and heavier, while TM's 2008 antivirus +antispyware looks quite light on speed and resource. How come F-secure can't merge/reduce those running service?

http://www.imageshost.co.uk/uploads/e330a25318.png

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

totally disagree. While I find the suite heavy, the AV is as light as anything else I have used. The suite is a little more sluggish due to the added modules and protection, but I think the AV with DeepGuard to me, it better then some suites..

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

I thought it was Gemini that was related to deepguard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.