Would you use a Mac?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Jimbob1989, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Would you use a Mac? and how much would you have to be paid to use one? :D

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Are you planning to pay me or what? I like Macs; they're good lookin' and really easy to use and crash-free, however software availability is a problem, especially games. If I had all my games easily available along with good software then I'd be glad to use a Mac, I love them.

I'd want to pay in the region of USD 1600 for a Mac, that's the price I'd pay.

And no, I dont wanna be paid to use a Mac because I like Macs.

3. Jimbob1989

So many people dislike Macs, I couldn't resist making this thread and no I am not willing to pay anyone, its a theoretical question.

Jimbob

4. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I like Macs. I don't use one on a regular basis, but I'm definitely thinking of adding a Mac Mini. The problem isn't even really software availability for me; since even though the overall pool of software isn't nearly as large as the Wintel world, nevertheless most of the major areas of functionality are covered. The problem is that I don't want to replicate all of this software that I now have, and have paid for, on a new platform. The other problem is simply one of learning curve. It's not that the Mac is difficult really, but if you are used to doing something one way it becomes a pain to have to remember how to do it on a new and different platform. It's difficult enough trying to keep up with Windows and Linux, adding in the Mac quirks might overload my poor little brain. :)

5. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

i bought a new pc a few months back and seriously considered a mac. haven't used one since my days in grammar school, so i decided i better stick with what i know. not so sure i made the right choice. one day i will eventually get one tho.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Nothing wrong with a Mac they are just a bit different ;)

bigc

7. Ailric

Ailric Guest

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

My brother is a sworn Mac user.
    The mini mac is tempting to have around. Good price.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I wouldn't use a Mac because I really enjoy participating in security forums like this one, & reading about the latest antivirus tests & so forth. If I used a Mac, security would no longer be nearly so interesting or essential to read & learn about.

Hey... go easy on me folks. I'm 70% serious in what I say. As for the other 30%-- shucks, I'm just yanking your chain. :)

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

;)

I wouldn't use one (at this time) simply because I am a rather avid gamer - in fact that is exactly what brought me to buy an expensive machine (or more) and choose to protect them properly. There just aren't as many games you can buy right from the store to play on a mac and multiplayer would certainly be more restricted... I also really hate those "one button" mice I have seen - at least that;s what they have at Texas State University San Marcos so...

Security wise I should imagine a Mac might be quite nice.

11. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

A mate at work bought one of these G4's and it's great! Software is still a problem and I wouldn't have a clue how to drive it, I was still mighty impressed!

12. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Helo bellgamin,

I like you humour. :)

13. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

in a second!
    The second I can run my office database that is.

14. Firecat

Now that's good humour too :D

15. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

My Son is a IT Graduate, with more letters after his name than enough....he has gone totally over to Mac and Linux and, as far as he is concerned, it's the ONLY way to go.......Well, that's as maybe, but I'll tell you this, he's very insular with regard to 'My' idea of Computing, consequently we have very little in common with regard to conversation on the Subject, in as much as, I have no idea what he's on about most of the time......... :D :D
    I do have a tendency to take the P**s out of him sometimes with regard to his 'Wireless' connections, Security etc., using info gleaned here at Wilders to baffle him a bit with facts ( Of which I have no idea what I'm talking about) but the 'Quotes' I throw at him sometimes stop him in his tracks (Which is Fun) :D.....He still isn't quite sure whether I know more than he does (I definitely don't).....but there ya go, B***s**t always did baffle Brains... :D :D

Cochise, :cool:

16. Jimbob1989

My dad is a computer programmer for a large corporate bank. He likes to think he knows more than me but we both have our areas of experties. I do occassionally have the honour of proving him wrong at times which is always a laugh. By the way, although I'm not partically pro mac, I have used linux before, I'm not a strict windows user.

Jimbob

17. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Probably, it would be nice to have no worries about spyware, viruses and other malware. Plus Macs generally seem to be more stable and less prone to software problems and such. My roommate has a G5 and it is very nice, and I really like the OS, its very nice and clean looking. The only thing I don’t like is how dumbed down the OS seems, for example I can control what programs start with my computer by msconfig, I am not aware if you can do the same on a Mac, same with background processes and “services” I do not know if you can control and view them on a Mac. Basically I feel more in control with my PC.

18. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I wouldn't use a Mac if they were giving them away for free.....j/k :p

I'd play with dynamite if it was given away.

I have used Mac's in the past for some graphics classes and, although took some getting used to, were very good. I don't think i would want one for a day-to-day usage though. I've grown too accustomed to using windows and knowing how to fully configure my Win box the way I want to. Don't have enough time right now to learn a completely different OS.

But...Yes I would use one if I had one :)

19. Firecat

Maybe Mac was designed to be idiot-proof...thats good and bad...its good for me though.

20. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I use macs on my photoshop course. Apparently they are the industry standard for graphics.

All colleges and universities teach their freehand and photoshop courses only on macs.

But i have to say i dont like them at all. Firstly the interface is all botched up and backwards on them. And web pages dont present themselves properly on them

21. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

LOL Enjoy your posts as always :D

My answer is simple: Yes, but I never have. :)

22. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

I already do..... :D
    No but seriuosly, if I could get something along the lines of a Windows emulator to run PC software I would.

Attached Files:

23. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Microsoft publishes Virtual PC for Mac. I don't really use a Mac, so I can't tell you how "good" it is (in terms of compatibility, speed, etc.); but it used to be published by Connectix (IIRC) previously and it has been around for more than probably 15 years so it has to be a pretty mature product by now.

24. `mishimasan`

`mishimasan` Registered Member

I use a Mac, and it's very, very user-friendly. Couple a great operating system with a super-sharp, high-resolution monitor and you have a brilliant media centre - not to mention the contemporary style that Apple always brings to the table.

I did not pay for my mac, it isn't actually mine - they are part of the University School of Computer Science where I do my graphics courses. It has been proven that Mac systems are 'better' for manipulating digital media.

I wish I had a Mac - I'm looking into getting one but I'll probably search through eBay.

Anybody have a link for a good/official mac OS - PC emulator?

25. Jimbob1989

You can get Mac skins for Windows. Tried one myself a few days ago and looked pretty good actually.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.