Would you reccomend Comodo

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Albinoni, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I'm planning to try out Comodo on one of my PC's and would like your personal opinion and feedback on it. What's like, system resources, protection, GUI, ease of use etc. Is it all well worth it. Also I know it's free but how would you compare it to free Zone Alarm.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I would recommend Comodo's firewall.
    Resource usage according to Task Manager in XP=27,350k.That's 2 processes,the firewall and cmdagent.
    It got "Tru Stealth" at Shields Up.
    I like the GUI.It's easy to navigate.
    There is a learning mode for Component Monitoring.
    I switched from ZA free and had no trouble using Comodo right away.
    A bonus with Comodo is that the developers actually listened to the users and made some improvements like less resources used and the Launch Pad modification.

3. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Do i recommend comodo Fw?
    Ans- Highly! EAse of use,excellent firewall,great support,few prompts,never had high memory usage problem or anything.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I think, that Comodo is the best free firewall and Outpost Pro the best paid one.
    BTW, I am not saying, that Outpost is better, they are both unique in something.

I disabled Component Control (CFP passes all tests without it and it gets less popups).
    I have also disabled Aplication Behaviour Analysis and Enable Alerts (to get no popups).
    My CPF takes 16 + 6 MB after startup and when it calms down, it takes about 4 + 6 MB.
    When I was looking for a free firewall, I tried a few & stayed at CPF, no need to say more.

You might also try Core Force, which is the ultimate free firewall for really too powerfull users.

5. farad

farad Registered Member

I think its great. The memory is the in the 20mb range, which is low, and the CPU time remains lower than most system processes and that is while gaming online for hours straight. ZoneAlarm isn't remotely in that category, it uses a lot of CPU time and memory, as do some other popular firewalls. Of course I use a router and stick to outbound protection; I don't use packet checksums and other advanced options.

IMO it is as easy to use as ZoneAlarm. It uses a similar tabbed GUI with good default set of rules. The protection is great and the firewall has some active development going on.

The only quirk I can complain about is that it keeps a .tmp file permanently open in the administrators temp directory. I don't know what for but it's always open and in use. The only other firewall I've seen keep a .tmp file open is Outpost.

6. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Comodo is a excellent Firewall, set it and forget it. Never had a problem.
    Badcompany. :thumb:

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I threw it out, I had issues with it with pcflank leaktest, originally it says fail, but it asks if you want to allow the results webpage. I clicked block and I couldnt view any other pages after that, it blocked them all, untill I removed Internet Explorer from the programs list..wtf!:thumbd:

8. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I think you need to understand the program first before mocking it. If you would have taken a look at the results page...you would have seen that the text that they had asked you to submit did not make it to their server...I've tried it several times. This means that your firewall passed the leak test!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

COMODO:thumb:

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Excellent free Firewall...yes I do recommend to those who want a good freebie. :thumb:

11. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Its ok it could not recognize some programs.

12. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

decent for afree firewall.not for me thou.went back to look n stop.reminded me to much of zone alarm.too many pop ups.

13. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

i prefer zone alarm pro to anything else and i have tried outpost comodo and everything else under the sun i think the comodo firewall is ok but dont use the av yet

14. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

I haven't tried Comodo in over a month. I thought it was pretty to look at, but that it didn't offer the fine control that I wanted. Compared to ZAfree, however, I would pick Comodo any day.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Travellnman said:
    decent for afree firewall.not for me thou.went back to look n stop.reminded me to much of zone alarm.too many pop ups.

It vaguelly resembles ZA in that there are pop ups, the difference is no bugs.:D

16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Toby75, Take another look what I said in my previous post, I siad it blocked the text page, but also blocked every other webpage afterwards, that why I threw it it out ;)

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Basically if it's as good or better than the others, and FREE!! why pay unless you are a technical user and get picky with the level of control you want? (not saying picky is bad, ok? it's refined control, i get it)

COMODO all the way!

18. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

Jetico v1.0 offers much greater level of control and is free :).

19. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Would I recomend Comodo?
    Answer :NO!

20. TairikuOkami

So you are angry, because Comodo blocked leak test and its injection into IE? [​IMG]
    Closing and reopening Comodo or restarting PC would allow you to use IE again. ;)

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Cthorpe - Jetico is a version 1. It can only get better. What's good now? :)

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Why in the hell should I have to restart my pc after a leaktest? that makes no visible sense whatsoever! thats like saying make sure you shut the door at night so burglars dont walk in, or close the door before you drive off down the road. We know these things, but restarting a computer over and over, just because you want to connect to a website? "Gimme A Break Dude" :cautious:

23. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

DVD+R,
    Does this happen with other leak-tests or just the leak-test at crappy pcflank?
    Seriously.

24. TairikuOkami

Comodo closes the door, when the burglar stands right there (DLL loaded in memory).
    PCFlank DLL tries to inject other processes as well (burglar will try windows, back door).
    So restarting is like calling the police and the burglar will run away (DLL will not be loaded).
    However a mallware DLL could load at startup, so Comodo would block it to prevent the leak.
    There is a command to unload DLL, but by taking the leak test, you agree with consequences.

25. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Definitely recommend it. The rate of progress has scared the pants off even the paid-for competition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.