would this work?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by steve1955, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Just a thought for all the guys who want free av solutions:-there's probably 12(at least) AV's that offer a free 30day trial,run 12 of them by the time you've run all twelve,which will cover you for a year,most will have brought out a new product so you should be able to start the cycle again ad infinitum:-that way you get free cover without using illegal software!
    The added bonus from our point of view is you can give us info on how good or bad certain products are!(lol)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You may also end up with a whole bunch of mess on your computer. I think the law of unintended consequences might rear up and bite you.

3. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Some people can't even go 1 week without trying different security programs on their PC.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

lol i have been one of those but thats what ive been using ati for.. no clutter puts it back to the way it was before so no mess..

5. noway

noway Registered Member

Good idea but in order to reduce conflicts you should make a disk image before installing ANY antivirus and revert to that image before trying the next one. Unfortunately this will probably mean that you will have to install the antivirus as the last program of all after doing a clean install. (otherwise you would need to install all your other programs all over again each time you revert to the old image and change antiviruses). So you would need to make sure that your backups of all your programs (install files) you have stored somewhere are clean beyond a doubt and do all this stuff offline, so you don't install a virus before your antivirus is installed. I think there may be easier ways of obtaining free antivirus, such as using freeware for example.

6. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Afraid I'd be with Peter on this one, that would be a disaster waiting to happen, gotta be just a matter of time before something left after an uninstall conflicts with something newly installed. If I was willing to go to that much effort I'd rather pay for an AV. For those of us who like a free AV there are enough free versions to put one on your computer and keep it.

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I actually did this last year. I used a different antivirus trial each month. My computer was kept neat and clean thanks to the free ashampoo magical uninstall.

8. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I wouldn't bother... just get an AV and stick with it. (although there's an AV every few months.. I've stopped bothering trying them all out. I'm happy with my AV, so haven't bothered changing or looking for a new one.

Also, leftovers of AVs (if not properly removed) may cause major consequences in the long-run.

9. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Why not use one of the three popular free ones, AVG, Avast or Avira?

10. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

U must be talking about me!

11. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I didn't mean for this to be taken seriously!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.