Worst Malware Ever!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by itman, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itman

itman Registered Member

I found this sucker by accident last weekend.

I finally decided to something about this WIN 7 Event Id 11 log event entry stating wininit.exe was dynamically loading .dlls at boot time. This error message had been generated forever on my WIN 7 installation. I never worried about it much since I had installed Avast on my PC initially and uninstalled it later. Avast BTW dynamically loads some of its .dlls. I knew that Avast was sloppy about resetting the LoadAppInit_Dlls switch in the registry back to zero.

This switch controls if .dll injection occurs using .dll module names stored in the registry key, HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows\LoadAppInit_DLLs; "0" = no and "1" = yes. So in the process of resetting the two flags, I have x64 i.e. HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows\LoadAppInit_DLLs , back to "0", I decided to check what was in the x86 reg section AppInit_DLLs key. Now from the base key display, nothing was shown. However when I opened the AppInit_DLLs key in edit mode, there was something "lurking" there. The front of the key was shown in bright blue. Don't know what that sucker was but I deleted it.

Warning - the AppInit_DLLs keys also exist in other Hive registry keys. Leave those values alone!

Now my PC runs like a champ. At least I have an explanation for all the weird crap going on my PC for some time that none of the multiple antimalware scanners I have used could catch.

BTW – whatever that malware was, it was being injected into every .exe that loads at boot time. Also MS uses wininit.exe for those on demand events that require a reboot; like chkdsk. Now I have an explanation why that along with other boot events had been flaking off.

Actually you can set a registry key in the same section as the above keys to only load MS certified .dlls. Now get this – that option is set off by default. MS says it’s to ensure “compatibility” with third party apps. And people wonder why Windows always gets hacked?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.