Wormguard and wmplayer.exe

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Trojan scientist, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trojan scientist

Trojan scientist Registered Member

hello, i just noticed that wormguard is stopping me from being able to watch any avi or mpg files by double clicking on them .

this is something from the log, its all ok as long as i just right click the file and "open with" a program , so is this a feature :cool: , sorry if this is already covered somewhere :D ?

i dont get any warning message from wormguard, just a popup saying that wmplayer is not a valid win32 apllication, but i know WG is stopping it somewhere. o_O

FILE: wmplayer.exe
    PARAMS: /SHELLHLP /Task NowPlaying C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WMP2B.tmp

FILE: wmplayer.exe
    PARAMS: /SHELLHLP /Task NowPlaying C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WMP2C.tmp
    FOLDER:
    FILE EXECUTION - ..... 02/19/2004 by user OWNER on computer

other than that its very quiet so far and smooth running, thanks .

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello Trojanator
    what makes you think it is WG changing this behavior?
    WG would popup with a warning if something was wrong.......
    Which windows version are you using?

3. Moore

Moore Registered Member

HI jooske (i changed my name again,sorry :D ), ive only got XP home , i still havent worked out what it was, but its probably from that CWS trojan i posted a link to on this forum a couple of weeks ago..that TDS still doesnt scan and paul renmoved for me :oops: , thats about the only other thing i can think of , or the bunch of windows updates i put in , might have been screwy.. :rolleyes:

thanks anyway, sorry to blame wormguard , it works good .. :)

4. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi Moore,

Certain versions of coolwebsearch can indeed overwrite some system files, including wmplayer.exe, which could result in nothing happening if you try to start windows media player or play an audio/video file. From your reply, I am not certain if you ever resolved this issue or not, but am including a link to merijn's site for more info.

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/~merijn/winfiles.html

5. Solved

Solved Guest

Indeed, Wormguard is preventing wmplayer from executing files when you double click on the mp3 or whatever media it is.

I run XP, WMPlayer 8 and Wormguard, the problem with windows media player occurs when you "INSTALL PROTECTION" this option is located on the left handside of the wormguard interface.

As soon as I uninstalled the protection, I could use media player as before using the double click method, I then re-installed the wormguard protection, and again, I could not open the mp3 file by double click.

This is the only variable that was changing between my tests.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I have had WormGuard from the beginning and many WMPlayer versions, have version 9 at the moment and all time all has played fine and WormGuard has been installed with protection all time, add all media file types to WMPlayer and it should run fine.
    So i don't really understand why this is different on other systems........ o_O

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Because you're on Win98 Jooske :)

8. Moore

Moore Registered Member

OK , well I eventually fixed my problem after a while. :D

I still have wormguard enabled and no problems with any media files , still not sure exactly what the problem really was , more likely it was CWS related than wormguard , but it's gone now.

I deleted or reset the shortcuts/file paths and file associations for wmplayer.exe , but that didnt change anything .

So I used Merijn's windows backup files to overwrite all the wmplayer.exe files I had on my system and found a few of those 0 byte files lurking , so got rid of them and also added wmplayer.exe to my documents and settings folder where the 0 byte file kept appearing , then one day it just worked lol.

Happy again , no problems ever since . :cool:

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Now that is good news! Happy playing ! (also with WormGuard!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.