Workstation 9.1 Restore from DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by blegs385521, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blegs385521

blegs385521 Registered Member

I recently bought Workstation 9.1 and, for the first time for any version, I was able to create a full set of DVD image backups for multiple partitions. I designated bootable and to save versions of Acronis programs on the DVD. I booted from the DVD sucessfully, and proceeded to try to restore one file to my Win XP desktop. For the next 20 or som minutes, I was continually prompted to insert different volumes for my backup set. First I did this some 10 or so times just to designate a restore location. Then another 5-10 the designate 1 file. Finally, I got the Restore progress box, but it kept asking me for different volumes again. Sometime Volume 6 (the last in the set), otherwise alternating between volumes 1,2 and 3. Finally, I cancelled the job. Fortunately, this was only a test. I normally backup to the Acronis Security Zone on a second hard drive, and have been successful in recovering either 1 file, 1 partition, or more then 1 partition. But I also want to have a set of DVD's an a last case Disaster Recovery option. Perhaps this will work better when restoring 1 or more partitions, but right now, I don't know, and don't want to try.

Any comments on this from either Acronis or another user? Any suggestions on how to make this work, maybe less painfully?

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

This is the other "hidden" downside to backing up to DVD media. When it comes time to restore, you'll be doing what I call the "dvd shuffle" for what seems like forever.
    If you want a backup set on DVDs, first backup to another hard drive (external or internal) specifying the process to split the images into dvd sized chunks (many here use 1492 mb - three of these fit on one dvd with little waste). Then use your favourite burning program like Nero or Roxio to burn the chunks to dvd.
    BTW, since you have a second hard drive, there really is no reason to use the SZ unless you are doing automatic backup and want to have TI eliminate the oldest backup when the SZ becomes full.

3. blegs385521

I changed the backup location to my second hard drive and tried to split the archive as you suggested. However, I only see the following options:

100mb, 650mb, 700mb, 4.7gb

I tried to delete the task a create a new one, and these were still the only optins available. Your idea of splitting archives inorder to better fit the most possible on a DVD is a good one, but I can't seem to do it.

Of course, I could always split @ 700mb, and use my Copy to DVD program to fit as many as possible onto each DVD.

The problem is that I liked the idea of a single backup set with the first DVD being bootable to the program. This would help in the case of a large scale disaster whcih would require me to recreate my entire hard disk with access to the program. This would not exist, I would think, with your suggestion.

Finally, I like the Acronis Security Zone for exactly the reasons that you mention. It has served me well so far, so I can't see changing what has worked for me.

4. Ralphie

There should be a window or space for you to enter the split size manually.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello blegs385521,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please have a look at this post regarding swapping DVDs.

Please notice that you can specify custom split size by clicking the box itself and entering the desired number.
    Although it won't be possible to make media created in such way bootable, you can create a separate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (CD; DVD; set of diskettes; flash card; ...). When booted from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media the program loads into memory entirely, so you will be able to remove the media and use the drive from the program to access your backups.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. blegs385521

Thanks for yiur responses.

Now, I want to back up 9 partitions to 5 or 6 DVD's. Is there any quick way to tell which partitions went ot which 1492 mb files? Otherwise, I can see the restore procedure being as big a pain as before, if I want to restore one or 2 files. For that matter, how would I know which disk to insert,

7. Ralphie

You don't know which disc ... that's why you start doing the dvd shuffle, so that Acronis can find what you told it to restore.

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Why not just make a separate backup for each partition. If you only want to restore one partition it would cut down on the swapping.

I put selected images on DVD as a third level of security. First is second internal HD, second is USB or drive on other PC, third is DVD. As you can see the chances of needing it are slim and that is exactly why DVD is the third level. I would take whatever steps necessary to copy the DVDs to a HD before restoring if I ever had the misfortune to need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.