With Chrome Ascendant, Mozilla Is a Dead Man Walking

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lotuseclat79, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I'm surprised he mentioned Opera.

2. Hungry Man

They renewed in November it looks like.

So 2014 if it's another 3 year.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  3. Yes, I think so, too. I like my Firefox. I've had used chrome but the speed isn't everything.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Source? Source?

5. Hungry Man

6. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

I think the fact that Chrome is bundled with so many applications with opt-out as opposed to opt-in preferences, speaks volumes for their so called market share.

7. Hungry Man

Not sure I understand.

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

9. Hungry Man

Wow. Thanks.

EDIT: Those don't seem to actually say the contract is over?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Exactly. And one of them is by Ed Bott.

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It seems to imply that people too clueless to know that they have to opt out, will have Chrome installed when they have certain other software installed. They will subsequently be too clueless to remove Chrome.

12. guest

guest Guest

This is a fact that I'm seeing in pretty much every friends' house, lol.

13. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

Quite so :)

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Then clue them in! ASAP. Not just for Chrome but the whole accept, accept, accept business.

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Well, one article has the word "apparently" in its title (Google deal apparently ends) and the other article has the word "suggests" in its title (Report Suggests). So I'd say you are correct. They don't seem to actually say it's over. They suggest it is apparently over.

I deduce from all this that there is an ongoing negotiation, but I also get the sense that if there was good news to reveal, it would have been forthcoming by now.

Help me out... what is the significance of that?
    Is Bott known to be anti-Mozilla, or something?

16. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

As would I. And, might I add... on principle alone.

17. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

I use 2 browsers: Firefox and Opera. If Firefox by miracle disappears, I'll stick with Opera. Every Chrome version I tried didn't last more than 1 day in my computer.

18. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Mint looks good. Milton Keynes is another British in-joke. I'm from the English Midlands (north of the north/south divide), & we tend to view anything south of the Watford Gap as being a bit odd.

19. Daveski17

French curving sounds fun, although I may be thinking about something else. ;)

I've always wondered why the French think that we dine exclusively on roast beef & mustard? Either way, the French have released some great freeware like VLC & Stellarium.

20. Daveski17

LOL! Honestly, Forum threads of Firefox's decline & impending demise have been around for at least a couple of years. IMHO it's still just spreading FUD.

21. Daveski17

I believe that this is the cogency flaw in your argument. Firefox statistically may lose many users to Chrome over a set length of time, but you are assuming that its user base will become virtually nothing. I just don't see this happening. I believe that eventually that user base will level off. The difference between your view & mine is that I believe that that user base will still be large enough for it to be funded, if not by Google, by somebody else. The plain fact of the matter is that Firefox & Mozilla have a huge following globally. Plus, as a whole, people like Mozilla, nobody actually likes Google.

22. Daveski17

LOL! Too right. I mentioned earlier about relatives of mine, who are not really that knowledgeable about computers, who think that Chrome has become their default browser by some sort of magic. They were rather astounded when I showed them that they could have IE 9 back as their default browser. IMHO Google do way too many of these rather sneaky & underhand practises. Why can't you completely uninstall Chrome from a computer without it leaving folders, that are difficult to find, behind? You can completely uninstall Firefox & even SRWare Iron.

23. Hungry Man

As I said earlier it's more likely that the userbase levels off. It depends when that happens.

24. Daveski17

Ermm ... not really. First there was ~

Then ...

& then ...

& then ...

& then a slight difference ...

I mean, which is it going to be? Make a prediction. We'll see who is right.

I predict that in a year from now, the stats will be saying more or less the same thing, just like they did last year. Nothing will actually have changed. In fact, I seriously question these so called 'statistics'.

25. Hungry Man

I said that if the current trend continues Opera will be at 10% in a year. That's simple math.

But, as I said in that very quote, that's not usually how it works. Trends don't necessarily continue at exact rates for such a long time. And the market is always subject to drastic change.

My prediction? The trend continues for a few more months at least before leveling out. A lot of this depends on whether or not Google continues to fund them or if another company goes in to fund them as well.

Questioning statistics is silly. Multiple different websites with separate stats will show the same trends. Whether Firefox or Chrome has higher usage for them or not it will always show Firefox losing members and Chrome gaining - pretty much anyone keeping track agrees with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.