Wireless Secuirty

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by EdP, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdP

EdP Registered Member

A friend of mine has a cable modem/wireless router setup in his house. His two daughters each have their own PC with wireless USB adapters so they can access the internet; they do not share files or printers with each other or with their Dad. He has a concern that malware they may pick up on their PCs might be able to find its way to his PC.

I don't know a lot about this topic, but such an occurrence doesn't seem likely to me. Is there a chance of this happening?

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Yes, so every system on a lan must consider the others insecure. Protect the windows systems by not using an admin equivalent account, have them use regular user accounts, so that any infection is limited to the account permissions of the infected user account.
    Activate a personal firewall on every system and do away with vulnerable software as much as possible.

3. EdP

EdP Registered Member

Thanks meneer ... they're already using ZoneAlarm as a firewall. I'll make sure they use regular user accounts in the future.

EdP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.