Wireless protection

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by MasterTB, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

I have a question (again) about the level of protection provided by ESS on a wireless network...

Sometimes, like today, when I'm not at home or the office I connect to free wifi spots to read my mail or the news from my laptop.
    Usually (almost always) windows (7 Ultimate x32) will detect that I'm in a public network and act accordingly, the problem is that ESS will not.

Like right now, I'm on a free wifi cafe... and my ESS 4.0.467.0 is telling me that I'm on "sharing" mode not "restricted" as I should be.

THAT IS A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH THIS SOFTWARE !!!!

That means that while windows properly identifies that I'm on a public network and tightens it's security, ESS does not, leaving me open to all kinds of threats, unless I realize of the problem and change the firewall's settings.

THAT IS NOT GOOD AND I DON'T LIKE IT.

Is Eset planing on doing something about that? I mean: if I use the windows built in firewall I know that when I'm on a public network It will shut down all sharing related services automatically, why can ESS do the same?

How come it does not detect that the SSID has changed, that this particular wifi has no password and hence it is an open wifi, different from the one at home or the office, that the DNS servers are not the same or the DHCP server...
    I'm sure you CAN IMPROVE THAT !!!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If a new network is detected, a dialog window with selection of either "allow sharing" or "strict" mode is supposed to appear. Check the Trusted zone settings if the active network subnet is already in the TZ.

3. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Yes, I know that a new network dialog is supposed to show up but it does not.
    And the new network is being marked as a trusted network because it is in the range of 192.168.1.0 ... probably because I'm connecting to someone's home router which is open to connections.
    But it shouldn't be "automatically trusted" just because it is set up to 192.168.1.0 ... I don't know who set it up and with what intention... all I know is that I needed a wifi connection and that one showed up as "open" that does not mean ESS should automatically trust it, specially when it is an open wifi, and not even windows trust's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.