wipe disk after clone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by multilanguage, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. multilanguage

multilanguage Registered Member

Can this be disabled? I do not trust a cloned image until it boots and I do not want to lose the original drive.
    Thanks

2. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

If you have created a clone, simply disconnect the original and boot with the clone. If it works then you will get a message "Windows has found new hardware, need to reboot". After you have rebooted and you are satisfied with the way it's working you can then wipe your original disk or you can keep it for that unforseen occasion when you might need it.

3. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

I have a question about this. I've seen several posts saying that I must remove the original drive before booting the new clone because Windows will be confused by seeing two bootable "C:" drives.

So how should I proceed to wipe the original drive after I'm satisfied with the clone?

TIA...

4. ennis

ennis Registered Member

After you are satitsfied with the clone, reconnect the drive (it will probably show up as D: or E:). Then format the drive and/or drop the drive partitions.

(not suitable for cypher-freak-level decommisioning of drives; however, good enough for most people)

5. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

1. If you have SATA drives, you should be able to boot into the BIOS, and turn it off.
    SATA drives will boot up accordingly to the sequence. SATA0 will boot up before SATA1. SATA1 will boot up before SATA2, and etc. So, If you have an OS on both, ...then the lowest SATA will boot up automatically. But still, I'd disconnect one, or turn it off in the BIOS.

2. If you're sure you are not going to use the Original drive again, I would download the Diagnostics tool from the HD's manufacturer. Then, use it to "Write Zeroes" to it. This wipes off ALL Data, and partitions you may have created.

6. multilanguage

multilanguage Registered Member

Thanks all.
    I made 2 practice runs before getting right.
    So I was able to clone my w2k laptop to the new one, repair the w2k os on the new one, and finally upgrade it to XP_Pro.
    cya

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You only have to remove it until you have booted once into Windows. then you can connect both disks. Since a system/boot disk is already connected, the reconnected disk will be "marked" by Win as not a sys/boot disk. It then won't be bootable with the image that's on it, but you can erase files or use the disk however you want. Alternatively, you can not reconnect it until you need to use it as a replacement boot/sys drive.

8. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

Ah, I see. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.