winpwl.exe using 90%cpu

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by bubs, Jul 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Hi.

Just come across a cry for help on a non-security board I belong to - sbdy who has recently installed win2k has this process leaching cpu resources.

Sounds like a Trojan to me - anybody heard of a nasty which calls itself stg like this once it's taken up residence?

She's been advised to find it and delete it, install a firewall etc etc etc, but maybe one of you guys can advise if it does anything more serious than set the registry to auto-start and then phone home / act as a zombie / or whatever it does do.

2. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Hi bubs! I'm no expert, but I just saw an Anti-Trojan Test Report which showed TDS-3 batting cleanup. I'd suggest she get the freeware version of TDS-3 and run it. Here's the link to DCS:

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

Hope this helps her. :)

I tested the link and it works. She can get the download from there.

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi bubs,

It's the standard name from a well known password stealer.

Running a good and updated AT/AV is recommended for sure; changing all passwords after cleaning the system is a wise thing to do as well.

regards.

paul

4. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Thanks guys - i suspect she'll be in the market for TH rather than TDS ('tho I agree with you P_S - there's nothing better than TDS :D).

5. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

To the best of my knowledge, there's no freeware version - just a free trial period, which isn't the same thing at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.