WinPrivacy by Ruiware LLC

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by KaptainBug, Nov 24, 2014.

1. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Just bought my lifetime family pack license. :)

2. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

It is improving (browsing still a bit slow though).

Is there a way to temporarily disable protection when needed? Don't see the option.

One problem here - the dashboard is not able to show in full (& no way to expand it), using 1920 x 1080 display resolution here.

See below - look at Non-Canvas Fingerprinting, Blocked Programs, Connections Blocked, Blocked Fingerprinting

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  3. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Select "Stop Background Service" from the tray icon menu. As of this point, you'll have to remember as there's no visuals the service is stopped. Or started. I've emailed Bret about that and that feature should be implemented soon, highlighted or checked indications for stopped and start and/or a dynamic tray icon. Or something. Also you can always check the state of the service, WinPrivacySvc, in the Windows Service control panel.

4. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Thank you, appreciate your reply. :)

Have a nice day!

5. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Am I wrong. WinPrivacy not gaining traction....?

6. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Seems like it should have been a tab on Win Patrol.. I asked for (and got) a refund on WinPrivacy. I'm not seeing it advance as much as I think it should, and realized I probably will never use it.

7. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Feel the same.... what tab were you expecting ?

8. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I choose not to ask for a refund cause I think Bret is doing a good job and want to support him.
    Just my 8 bucks....

9. faircot

faircot Registered Member

Ditto. I don't run my licenced copy of WinPatrol any more; I don't feel I need it with other, good alternatives but I hope...

10. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

It is still in beta. Overly harsh to ditch it now. If it ends up providing very little added value, tell them so and submit a few recommendations to see how they respond. If you are not satisfied with their response and the potential of the product, then it is not for you. I have the product and I have also uninstalled it, but I am waiting to see how it evolves before I make a decision on how useful it will be (to me). The emphasis is on 'evolves' rather than becomes a stable release.

11. faircot

faircot Registered Member

But that's just what you've done! It's interesting how few posts there are in Ruiware's Lanzdown forums about these betas. I really do hope that it continues to evolve but, until it does, there's no place for it on my systems.

12. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

No place, and $8 is $8.. I'm not in the practice of handing out cash on hopes and dreams. Too many kickstarter burns for that.

13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yeah, I checked out LandzDown. Not too reassuring. I've uninstalled WPP+WP

14. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

I believe that Bret made a business blunder.

He should have demonstrated decisively that WinPatrol Plus is a priority and put his signature on the product with some type of major improvement.

Instead, he's trying to sell something new while announcing that WinPatrol will have fewer updates -- it will take a back seat to new revenue streams.

Bad move.

He should have focused on the core product first, developed and improved it, got a whole new generation to buy in --- and then introduce new products.

But whatever... I used Bill's WinPatrol Plus for many years and liked it. And now like so many other products -- AdAware, Spybot S&D, SAS, SpywareBlaster... it's time to push it overboard and move on.

Splash.

15. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Something I learned from Dave Thomas, if you buy a business that is working all you really need to do is clean it up, and put a coat of paint on it, and leave it alone. The formula works, stick with it, and then over time make additions, and keep the product rolling forward. Too often in business people buy something then rush in to 'make it their own', and in the process kill the trust, and clientele the business was built on. This is never a good idea. A restaurant near my home worked - the formula worked for a profitable restaurant for nearly 30 years. Within 2 years of someone buying it, the business closed down. They changed everything that made the previous one great.

I think they made a colossal blunder with this.

16. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Bret made a big splash...got my $15 and now ....what ?

17. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Now you wait for the final. :)

18. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Um, I don't see WPP and or WP in your signature. Bret could use the advirt.

19. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I'm one of the beta testers....

20. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

We're all beta testers

21. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Exactly!
    Then you know how the testing cycle goes, right?

22. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Bret is working hard at getting it all sorted out. Remember, he's only one man.

Yes, WinPrivacy is really a mess right now, but issues will get fixed.

Same with WinPatrol on 64 bit systems.

23. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

WPP and WP as all the applications in my signature are dinosaurs....soon to be extinct. The BOX or similar via some vendor will replace all your security toys. Granted, WPP is a system monitor. Well, if your system is protected. Who cares what's running in the background or at start up. If you want system monitoring then you need Sysinternals and for privacy = there's a ton of viable toys. In a few years we'll all be running W10 subscription. W10 will control system monitoring and privacy. M$ will make sure of that...
    M$ will rake in a lot of home / small business users with free W10 Upgrade. Then business / corporate will Upgrade.
    I predict W10 will garner market....and IE replacement will garner market share....soon, you will not recognize Wilders.

I feel WPP and WP are not viable ... going forward.

24. siketa

siketa Registered Member

25. fblais

fblais Registered Member

What’s new in 2015.1.517 (posted Feb 22nd)
    • Fixed bug in Tray App processing of alerts
    What’s new in 2015.1.515 (posted Feb 22nd)
    • Fixed issue resulting in failed upgrades due to service being marked for deletion.
    • Fixed bugs that could result in WinPrivacy Explorer crashing.
    • Fixed issue in Tray Application that resulted in multiple copies running at the same time
    What’s new in 2015.1.507 (posted Feb 18th)
    • Detect “Protected” Windows Operating System files and automatically allow them, even with auto-block activated.
    • Prefix “Protected” program names in both the Internet and Blocked Programs pages with (Protected) so that you know which files are Windows Operating System files as well.
    • Allow you to block “Protected” files if that is what you wish to do.
    • Added additional text to Settings tab, explaining that “Protected” Windows Operating System files are an exception to the Automatically Block setting. (This should also help with Windows Updates)
    • Fixed bug in Canvas Fingerprinting that was resulting in false positives and some sites failing to load properly.
    • Fixed bug in waking up from Sleep that resulted in WinPrivacy slowing browsing post-sleep until either deactivating WinPrivacy or rebooting
    • Fixed bug that resulted in Tray Application not working for installations into a folder other than the default folder
    • Made improvements in driver interaction, resulting in faster browsing
    • Added ability to “Ignore” sites on the Canvas Fingerprinting tab.
    • Added auto detection and alert when a new build is available. This appears in both the program header next to the version number and on the Settings page.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.