Winpatrol conflicts with UAC ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Frankly speaking I never have used UAC ever for a long time. So I am not very accustomed with it. Today I was trying myself to cope up with UAC. But Winpatrol seemed to freeze (stopped responding) during pop-up. It happpened multiple times. OS is a fresh installed Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. No other security software was present at that time.

2. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Don't know about a conflict, but I've been turning off UAC when WinPatrol or Mamutu are installed.

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks. I also think so because two HIPS can't stand each other.

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I had it installed with Win7 and UAC running and i didnt have any issue. Tho i only had MSE and Win patrol running too.

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I have UAC and WinPatrol on both my Win 7 PCs. No issues for me at all.

Personally, I don't consider UAC a HIPS app. Just a means to grant or deny permission to a change that has been initiated. And for WinPatrol, my biggest use of it is to monitor important changes made to the system. I rely on malware prevention from Sandboxie and Online Armor Firewall's HIPS.

6. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

WP works differently when used in conjunction with UAC...

a)
    Source: WinPatrol FAQ

b) WinPatrol v16 Monitors Changes to UAC Settings

c) I observed that WinPatrol doesn't work fine under a separate standard user account. For e.g. if I were to 'Run as admin' to install a program on the SUA desktop, WP won't bark if changes to start-up, etc are made. I'm guessing that this has got to do with winpatrol.exe running under the SUA tokens and as such is unable to access the memory of the installer/setup file which is running under the Admin tokens. Therefore, if you intend to use WP to monitor installation of programs (to avoid unnecessary toolbars, additional start-up entries etc), then you have to do the installation within the default admin account itself. Alternatively, 1 possible workaround to this is if one uses SuRun to install programs...I'm merely guessing that it might work but I've not really tested it.

P.S. I don't consider UAC and WP as HIPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.