Windows XP UPnP

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by EvilDave UK, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

I've used UPnP for a while now, but is it really something I need? My Draytek router uses it too and I've heard of people saying it's a security threat. But, seeing as it's running locally, is that really the case?

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Some server programs can use UPnP to open ports (port forward) in your router, this can save having to manually set these ports, but unfortunately, malware can also have this capability.
    So unless you really need ports to be open (automatically) in your router, I would advise you disable the UPnP (SSDP discovery) service within windows and the router.

3. booglywoogly

booglywoogly Registered Member

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Run windows update and catch up on the fix that came out a loooooong time ago. Then no worry.

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

There is still the possible problem of malware using UPnP(SSDP) to open ports in the router.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I just disable it, its an unnecessary service for me.

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    IMO once malware in on your system.....you already have TONS more possible things to worry of much higher danger.

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Agree partly,.. as if the user installs, or lets malware install, the last thing wanted is inbound connections being allowed through the router, which the malware could do via UPnP, once inbound connections are allowed, well,....... I just think its better to cut of this possibility.

9. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

UPnP is enabled in my router by default and ZA Pro. I was always afraid to turn it off, that I wouldn't be able to get a internet connection or mess the router up some how.

The router will still be able to detect the proper IP's it needs to work correctly a long with the software FW? I hope I said that right!

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Rilla,.. you can disable the UPnP in the router, and windows service "SSDP discovery", this will in no way affect your internet connections.

This is only needed if you are running any type of server software that needs to open (forward) ports from your router automatically.

11. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Stem,

How are ya?

Oh, that's great! I will disable it.

Thank you very much;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.