Windows XP SP3 runs browsers 13% faster than Windows 7 RTM

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by trismegistos, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trismegistos

trismegistos Registered Member

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

IMHO, doing these kinds of tests so relatively early in the game isn't going to paint a very accurate picture. Although I'll stand by my XP until Microsoft does everything but ring my doorbell and load another OS onto my computer, we need to be fair to Windows 7. After all, we haven't even gotten to the first service pack yet. This thing is going to need to be tweaked over and over for quite some time. After the first year is up, THEN do these kinds of tests.

I'm not real fond of these kinds of articles. For months now we've been pounded with "tests" by the "Windows 7 can do no wrong"-crowd and "I'm going to find every tiny little thing that doesn't work right and blog about how 7 will fail just as bad as Vista"-crowd. I don't necessarily like the way Microsoft is handling the upgrade methods and this "multiple edition" phase they seem to be going through needs to quit, but at least give the thing time to sit on systems a while and get a few patches under its belt.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

To soon to judge.

Remember the early x64 Longhorn tests showed an performance increase over x32 up to 20% with all kind of techno blabla relating it to the increased bandwith of instruction througput? Then came the dual processors with expensive instruction cache memory and bridged this advantage to practically zero (because code is read from harddisk with 32 or at best 48 bits width).

Cheers Kees

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Hardly surprising at all considering Windows 7 is a Watered down version of Vista Ultimate :cautious:

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

comparing an operating system that has just hit rtm versis an 8 year old operating system which has had tons of time to mature is just stupid.

once the drivers are matured windows 6 will be faster and its already a decent speed.

6. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Windows XP gets slower with each service pack, i assume windows 7 will too.

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I think you can look at tests and benchmarks but can't really know how it feels. I know XP feels faster than Vista, in many respects. But I also know that 7 feels faster than XP, in browsing, for me. I believe it comes down to what one 'percieves' as being faster, and many times the difference is so minute that it is hard to tell.

I don't give much thought to tests like this. Until I had both XP and 7 installed (dual boot), I had only others opinions, such as this test, to go by. It certainly is not what I have experienced myself on my hardware. On my hardware 7 is very noticably faster in browsing than XP with both having fresh installs and the same browsers being tested. Go figure.

Sul.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You bring up another very good reason not to take these tests too seriously, hardware is for sure going to come into play regarding speed and other performance measures.

9. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

that's what we said about Vista. And we know how that turned out. Unless they get the "bloat" out of windows 7, XP will continue to run circles around it. It's physics that is slowing windows 7, it's a known fact the "bigger"something is the "slower" it is. We can not change the "laws of physics" to speed it up.

"Windows 7 is what we thought it was, if you want to crown it's ___ go ahead, but windows 7 is what we thought it was. But we left it off the hook anyway."

and so it's deja vu all over again.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

11. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Do you reccommend MS add only 1 feature each release? People won't buy a new OS unless its worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.