Windows XP SP2 RC2 news.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nadirah, Jun 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Well, here we are again awaiting the long overdue release of XP SP2 RC2. The current target date within Microsoft for it's release is June 9th. At present, build 2147 is undergoing certification testing and may or may not be what is finally released as RC2. Contrary to what other sites are reporting, this is not the first attempt or the first build in the RC2 branch of SP2.
    The first was 2145 which never made it out of the lab and the second was 2146 which failed. So while this is the third attempt it may not be the last. We also hear that 2147 is not measurably different then 2142 or 2144. Does that mean most of the bugs experienced by users in those releases are still there? Only time will tell. If they are still there does that mean we may start hearing talk again of an RC3? Again, we will just have to wait.

Update: 2148 was just released for certification testing and the release day has been pushed to June 11.

More information on Windows XP SP2 RC2 at www.osdatacenter.com

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Congrats on your 100th :)

Thanks for the info. We´ll just have to wait. Strike that, I not running XP ;)

3. nadirah

It looks like that Windows XP SP2 RC2 is in its final stages and the RC2 kit will be shipped shortly to Microsoft Beta testers. Today I received an email from the Windows Beta Team concerning about confirming my address info. This is a clear sign that Microsoft will soon ship the Windows XP SP2 RC2 Kit to the beta testers in the forth coming weeks. We'll keep you guys posted!

BTW, I will be updating this thread with the latest news on Windows XP's upcoming Service Pack 2. Stay tuned for the latest news. Download links for XP SP2 will also be posted when available.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  4. nadirah

Windows XP Service Pack 2 is READY!

Microsoft long awaited Windows XP SP2 Release Candidate 2 (Build 2149) is available for download on WindowsBeta.

The Full installer and Slipstreamed Images in English language were just made available for download.
    The Express installer will be available EXCLUSIVELY via Windows Update and will be available on Tuesday, June 15th 2004.

5. nadirah

Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidate 2 using Windows Update

How to Update to Release Candidate 2

WARNING! This technical preview is unsupported and is intended for testing purposes only. Do not use in production environments.

There is no phone or incident support available for this download, but any questions may be posted in the newsgroups available at http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=xpsp2&slcid=us

Requirements:

•Windows XP Home or Professional

•Windows XP Service Pack 1

How do I Install?

1) If you have previously installed a pre-release build of Windows XP Service Pack 2, you should uninstall it prior to installing the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidate 2.

If you selected the option to archive service pack files when you installed SP2, you can use Add or Remove Programs to remove SP2 and restore your computer to its previous state.

To remove Service Pack 2 by using Add or Remove Programs:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

Click Add or Remove Programs, click Windows XP Service Pack 2, and then click Remove.

Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.

Important

•If you choose to remove SP2, a dialog box displays a list of the applications that you installed after you installed SP2. If you continue with the removal, these applications might not work correctly.

•If you are updating multiple machines, refer to the instructions for the full installation package of Windows XP SP2 RC2, rather than the steps listed below.

2) Get the new Windows Update client

•Navigate to http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

•Read and Select the “I have read the preceding information.” link. This is the one with the green arrow. This step is necessary to confirm you are a Beta user. You have to do this only once and you won’t be prompted again.

•You will be prompted with a security warning — choose yes. This step is needed such updated Windows Update client can be installed.

•You will be prompted for “New Windows Update Software required.” Select “Update now” for new Windows Update Software. As part of this step, the new Windows Update client is installed.

Important

•After the Windows Update client software is updated, error 0x8007041D or 0x8DDD0018 may occur if the machine was clean installed. Restart your computer to resolve the error. This issue will be resolved in the Windows Update v5 RTM release.

3) Get the new Background Intelligent Transfer Service 2.0 (BITS 2.0) component

•Select either “Express Install” or “Custom Install.”

•If prompted to update some of Windows Update client components, select “Download and Install now.” As part of this step, the mandatory updates, including BITS 2.0, will be installed.

•If you are prompted to do so, restart your machine.

4) Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidate 2

•Select “Custom Install.”

•Choose “Download and Install Now” for “Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidate 2 (Advanced Install)”

•After the installation is complete, restart your computer.

Now, some people have reported that they are unable to download XP SP2 RC2 from Windows Update properly, and microsoft says that the issue will be resolved in the Windows Update V5 RTM release. I have experienced the same error too.

http://www.microsoft.com/library/gallery/templates/MNP2.Common/images/arrow_px_up.gifTop of page

6. nadirah

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/shared/images/Banners/en/Hdr_ErrorPages.jpg http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/shared/images/Hdr_Shrt_Right.jpg

[Error number: 0x80072EFD]

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/shared/images/warning.gif Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:

For self-help options:
    For assisted support options:
    Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem yourself.

Darn it, same old error again..... :(

7. nadirah

All users please read: Error 0x800A01AE on new Windows Update V5 site
    After the Windows Update client software is updated error 0x800A01AE may occur. Restart your computer to resolve the error.
    This issue will be resolved in the Windows Update V5 RTM release.

I restarted my computer, but the same old error still comes back.

8. nadirah

9. angieangie52

angieangie52 Guest

Cannot find anything anything related to the error, I got ![Error number: 0x8DDD0018] .
    Pls respond to angieangie52@----------
    Tried to apply XP SP2, but then got this error message. No Windows update anymore possible.

Thanks

email edited to prevent harvesting Bigc

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2004
  10. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Please take care with beta versions and better not display your mail adres here.

11. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello,

With the new Windows update, you need these services fo be set on automatic :

Intelligent transfert in background and automatic updates. Reboot and try again. Put Windows update in the trust site zone. User data permanence (don't know exactly in English) must be allowed too.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2004
  12. Ashby

Ashby Guest

Re: Windows XP SP2 RC2 news. Error number: 0x80072EFD

I had this problem.
    My solution was to allow
    'Generic Host Process for Win32' through (out) my firewall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.