Windows XP SP2 Firewall + AppDefend?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by sweater, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Knowing that many live happily of still using Windows xp firewall. What can you say on this two...:rolleyes: can AppDefend really adds "some" protective levels to the Windows built-in firewall coz it has a Network Access control? o_O

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Sweater, AppDefend is still in beta and therfore I would not reccomend it as a first line of defence for outbound control ATM although it is very good.

I understand that Jason's new beta will be available soon and this will have further enhancements regarding it's network access control.

Personally, Along with NOD32 I use a router, GhostWall and AD/RD as my main lines of defence as my everyday OS is now Windows X64.

HTH Pilli :)

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I am currently entrusting AppDefend for outbound coupled with CHX-I. However, Appdefend offers minimal configuration for outbound control, because there is no control over local ports, remote ports, protocols, etc. However, I compensate this for creating rules in CHX-I which control which ports are allowed to be accessed remotely, and I bet that Ghostwall is capable of something similar. You may want to switch to Ghostwall since it will filter packets quicker and allows a lot more control and logs that Windows XP firewall doesn't have.

A router is also a great security enhancement, or an old pc that is collecting dust and transform it into a firewall with Smoothwall, IPCop, Astaro, m0n0nwall, etc.

So to summarize, Appdefend will work fine for your situation, and since it is beta, you can use it for free until it comes out of beta as long as you can tolerate popups every now and then asking you to buy it.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.