Windows XP SP1 officially announced (also - IE 6 SP1)

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by javacool, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

List of fixes (308 in total): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/ServicePacks/Windows/XP/SP1FixList.asp

Main service pack page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/default.asp

[hr]

Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 released:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/evaluation/ie6sp1.asp

Enjoy! :D

-Javacool

2. javacool

Also - an important note for those installing Windows XP Service Pack 1...

In my experience installing it on many different machines, you should reboot twice - once after installation (it does it automatically unless you tell it not to) and once after that.

Why? It seems as though, on all the machines I installed it on, things ran very slowly on the first reboot (possibly due, somehow, to files having been updated during the boot process)- but after the second, things were back to normal speed. :)

-Javacool

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I don't know about this SP. I just came from another forum and many of the folks who downloaded and installed it had problems, varying from failure to reboot to freezing.

Since moving to xp home in February, I've installed, selectively, some of their updates related to security. I think I'll pass on this SP.

4. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Chuck and welcome to the Forum! :)

yep! me too. i've had XP-Home since March and still learning what makes it tick and i've only locked it up twice so far LOL!

i know i've already got some parts to this SP1 stuff installed, but the entire package mentioned above seems like an awful lot all at once. (and they mentioned "backup!"...so that's enough to make me wait)

but i think i will d/l the SP1 for Internet Explorer since that seems to be separate ?

snap

5. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I just downloaded XP SP1 and installed it with no problems. The size of the download however is qite large, 47 meg for my machine. I might just be one of the "lucky :D " ones, as I have never had any problems with any XP updates.

One other note, it appears that the IE6 update is included in the XP SP1 update so you do not have to do both.

Regards,
    Kent

6. snapdragin

hi puff-m-d!

did you use the Express Installation then?
    i read where installing the .NET Frame stuff is still an option, or does the Express Installation of SP1 offer a custom install?

maybe once i am sure of XP's backup and restore a bit more, i'll give it a go.

snap

7. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

I used the express installation. I also already had the .NET framework installed on my system. I was offered no custom install options and the entire SP1 (I assume ;) ) was installed.

Regards,
    Kent

8. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Sadly, that may not be an option.
    http://grc.com/default.htm

9. javacool

I read about that just a little while ago - rather scary. :doubt: Again, without revealing much more than Steve Gibson did (which wasn't much - and a good thing too), ANY Windows XP system (WITHOUT Serivce Pack 1) can be seriously damaged by this vulnerability which impacts links, e-mail attachments, and much more - and it requires NO file to be downloaded onto your computer.

Service Pack 1, however, fixes this major (yet oh-so-simple - which is why I won't say anymore) vulnerability.

[hr]

Also, the .Net framework was NOT installed automatically when I downloaded and installed the 133 MB full (network) installation of Windows XP SP1. In fact, I wasn't even given an option to install it.

-Javacool

10. snapdragin

Hi Javacool & Mike

Mike - i read about that vulnerability first at your site, then decided after i read Javacool's post here, that i'd better upgrade to SP1.........guess i'll risk M$'s plans for my pc rather than the script-kiddies'.

i'm on cable so it only took 1/2 to d/l....about another 15 minutes of it backing up files and installing.....and it did take a 2nd re-boot before things seemed to set in place smoothly. Otherwise, it installed without any problems.

i have noticed though that Sygate's packets are showing alot more outgoing....and more detail about what's going out, maybe the new files give more information to existing software? And the upgrade didn't change any of my settings..everything stayed pretty much the same as it was before with IE, etc.

thanks guys! :)

snap

11. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Did anyone else notice this warning about WMP after upgrading to SP1
    SpybotS&D warned me about a registry change.

Regards,

Pieter

Attached Files:

12. snapdragin

Hi Pieter,

i ran SpybotS&D on Sept 12th and it gave me a red alert also for the WMP, which i deleted but kept in Spybot's backup just in case. haven't had any ill effects as i can see yet from deleting it. i don't know what kind of changes SP1 made to WMP though. i don't use it if at all possible. LOL

snap
    (p.s. - i had d/l'ed and installed SP1 on the 10th)

13. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Yeah that figures.

I already have java, which as I understand it will break because of whatever it is M$ has done to it according to what I've been reading. Or is that only with the xp sp? Also there is some problem with .gif files. Also an attachment problem with OE6 (which I'm not using anymore). etc... etc... etc..

Sure wish I could skip this. But, I just read in two separate articles that windowsupdate will require that xp has sp1 installed, despite all the bugs it introduces. Maybe some helpful soul will find a way to tell windowsupdates to mind its own business. Or maybe there's an alternate site to download these things from?

14. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

I deleted the WMP ID a long time ago after reading about it (can't remember where, most likely right here) and have denied WMP access to the WWW, so I don't expect any problems. It just made me curious.
    Dutch version wasn't available untill last week, wich gave me a chance to prepare for some "known issues" : http://www.ostweaks.com/temp/windowsxp_service_pack1_known_issues.html

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.