Windows XP registry backup

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The_Usernameless_H, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Usernameless_H

The_Usernameless_H Registered Member

When does Windows XP backup its registry into the windows/repair folder? I've seen some sources online that claim it happens automatically at startup and some that claim you have to do it manually.

Also, if the registry is backed up at startup, is the old backup (from the previous startup) erased or is the is old one kept?

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I'm afraid you posted this in the wrong part of the forums.
    This thread pls move it to software & services.

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

[font=Verdana,tahoma]Hi,

Some info here:

ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, there are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.

Read more and free download here:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html
    [/font]

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi The_Usernameless_H :)

I moved your thread to a more appropriate place here in Software and Services where it will get better attention.

Cheers, TAS

5. The_Usernameless_H

So XP does backup the registry at startup? Does it create a new backup each time, overwriting the old backup?

6. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

I think yes, XP removes previous backups for latest. But System Restore maintains ALL backups synchronised (files-registry)
    If you want you can do that urself too...
    Start>Run>Regedit
    collapse all branches of tree in left pane..click on "My Computer" and click on File>Export
    Then choose a location and filename (*.reg) for your backed-up registry. Simple.

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

User.....I've never had any problems with Erunt, work's just as explained by GerardWil in post three.
    Xp itself does not perform a "complete" backup. Find info at their homepage here. FREE!

GF

8. The_Usernameless_H

If Windows keeps a backup of all versions of the registry, isn't that a privacy threat as regards Spyware etc.? How can this problem be avoided?

9. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

I think this backup is sufficiently safeguarded, but that is an informed guess rather than a definite answer... I believe its either encrypted or you don't have permissions (even the administrator, or even NT/AUTHORITY has enough permissions) to peek into that, just like you can't steal windows NT Administrator password even if you've logged.

10. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

User......, ERUNT is good (for me and recommended by others), but if something goes wrong with the program
    you can always clean-up with the recovery console. Here's some info for you on back-up.
    See if you find these pages are useful.....

Definitive word from M$
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=322756

From TheElderGeek
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_xp_registry.htm

From MVPS.org
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/registry.htm

You can do it if NTBackup is installed (off the cd, not installed on mine), explained on the M$ page.
    Take your pick.....

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.