Windows XP Picture and Fax Viewer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luv2bsecure, Dec 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I had a message on my voice mail today asking about the Windows XP Picture and Fax Viewer. Does anyone know if pictures viewed with WP&FV are cached or if there is a file that includes the filenames after viewing? This is a privacy issue as they don't want traces of photos left on the PC. I think I remember being asked this before. I thought this a very good question. But, I haven't a clue as to the answer. Thought I might try Computing.net for this one as well.

Anybody here have the elusive answer?

John
    Luv2BSecure

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

3. luv2bsecure

Thanks, Primrose! I appreciate that. Actually, I have already done that to my XP box at work. This is a student that had called asking about the cache, files w/filenames, etc. because they actually LIKE WP&FV :rolleyes:

So, I'm still looking for that.

John
    Luv2BSecure

4. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

It's probably saved in some Most Recently Used list somewhere. If I open a picture, it gets saved to My Recent Documents in the start menu. MRUBlaster should take care of that. I'm not sure about anything else.

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I tried a number of different tests opening image files with this and other than "Start > Documents > Recent Files", it doesn't appear to save information anywhere. Nothing in the registry that I could find. No new file on disk.

I wonder if maybe one of the misc Index.dat's under the current logged in username saves anything?

6. luv2bsecure

Thanks to you both. Yes, MRUBlaster would find an MRU reg file I think and do you know - I never even thought about the filenames going into one of the 162,478 ( or so it seems ) index.dat files on XP.

I might just use WP&FV for a half hour or so and then Spider those index.dat files and see what comes up.

It was an intereting question from the student. I had never even given thought to WPV and the filenames, etc.

Thanks again to you both for the help.
    It's FRIDAY!

John
    Luv2BSecure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.