Windows XP - is it genuine is it not?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I wanted to try out IE 7 Beta so I could get a first-hand impression what this thing is, and maybe write a few words.

So, I power up the virtual machine with Windows XP installed in it.
    I double-click the IE 7 installer.
    It shows me the blue star of "genuine advantage" and tells me that I need to validate the software before install. OK. Let it be.
    It connects to MS and tells me Windows is not genuine.
    Interesting, when I make the same check on the same Windows outside of VMware Player, it becomes mysteriously genuine.

So, what's it gonna be? Genuine or not? Decide guys.

In the meanwhile, cancel IE 7, delete the installer, never try again.

Thank you MS for another great step at dissuading your customers from giving you a seventh chance.

I'm looking forward to September when you start trying to shut off computers because they won't run the "genuine advantage" thingie.

Mrk

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

You have installed the same copy of windows onto 2 setups, the activation will not be the same within the VM and will be seen as an illegal copy

3. Mrkvonic

Hello,

If you read the eula when installing:

... 2 processors ...

Furthermore, it's the same hardware.

Mrk

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The 2 Processors is for multiproccessor PC`s. (2 processors can access the same (one) copy of the software)

The hardware is "virtual", as already mentioned.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

When I was looking at Microsofts offering of a virtual machine product, the were pretty specific. You had to have a license for each machine you set up. 2 virtual machines on a pc meant 3 licenses.

6. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I have 6 licences ... actually. 1 Win 98, 1 XP Home, 4 XP Pro ...
    Mrk

7. Peter2150

Hi Mrk

But what does that mean. I have 2 XP pro licenses, but they are on two machines, so according to Microsoft, a VM machine would require a 3rd license. Now if you have 6 licenses and one computer....

I think most of the guys who do serious work on VM machines have some kind of developers license that allows them to have at.

Pete

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

All their anti-piracy stuff gives people more problems instead of helping them.

9. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I'm not a developer. I'm a guy who tried to give MS a chance.
    I wanted to see how their new product behaves. Remember, it's NOT a finished product. It's just a beta. And so, I try to give it a try. Instead, they slap you in the face with genuine blue-star bullcrap validation thingie that is inaccurate and annoying. Validation for beta? Why?
    And now that I think of it, almost all MS products to come in the last year are beta. MS Anti-spyware 1, MS Anti-spyware 2, new Office, IE 7. So instead of paying you or rewarding you for trying their beta software, like most companies do - they reward people for trying to raise the social awareness to their new product, a sort of free marketing, plus solving of bugs etc - they want you to go through hassle to do it. And moreover, they make a mess out of it, because their tools are inaccurate.
    And so, they prevent a possibly "enthusiastic" user to give their product a try. In other words, they do not want you to try their products unless you sign a slavery consent first. No thank you, I say.
    Mrk

10. Peter2150

HI Mrk

I agree totallly with you. Dumb part about it is I build a new FDISR snapshot, and put the Office 2007 beta in that, and am playing with it. MS doesn't see that as a separate machine though.

Pete

11. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I don't think Bills validation doodad is going down too well........

Cochise.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.