Windows XP Home OEN - anyone having it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Windows XP Home OEM - anyone having it?

Anyone having CD of XP Home OEM please? I need to ask for some thing.

Thanks

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Yes, i'm using it now ! It's XP2 though. Anyway, ask away

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Re: Windows XP Home OEM - anyone having it?

Recovery CD of my toshiba laptop is damaged. Is it ok if I install XP hone from any OEM disk and use the key from my laptop sticker to activate it?
    I guess it should be fine.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hmm, i can't be 100% sure ! It sounds plausable though. There was a thread on here a few years back about it, maybe you could locate it ? I expect a search engine would give you some answers ;)

Sorry i can't be more specific. Let us know what you find out :thumb:

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I would think it would be fine I have done it before. you will most likely need to install quite a few drivers after.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Should work fine.
    Mrk

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Yes that'll be fine.
    I sell reconditioned laptops,for which I always do a fresh install using my copy of XP with slipstreamed updates,I've never had a problem yet.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

Next question is how to get a copy of XP Home OEM? :) Thanks

9. anon

anon Registered Member

Download Windows XP SP2 ISO
    -http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/1/d/81d1f546-f951-45c5-964d-56bdbd758ba4/w2k3sp2_3959_usa_x64fre_spcd.iso

Download XP SP3 ISO
    -http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/e/9/ee9d0116-c9fe-4fc2-b59c-406cbfb6d515/xpsp3_5512.080413-2113_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just a note, beware the x64 version, many things do not run on it (AV's, Security Software, etc) because it is based on Win 2003 Server, rather than being just a 64 bit version of XP 32. It's another animal altogether. So go with 32 bit if you want normal XP.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

hmmmm.....are these OEM versions?

12. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

No, they're service pack installation CDs. I'm not sure if you can even boot from them.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ahh.... they are not going to install XP I guess.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If you have an MSDN or Technet subscription, you might be able to download it from MS. Otherwise, I don't know....

15. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Yeah, unfortunately Windows is not shareware. You can download evaluation copies of some versions of Windows, but they last only 6 months and will not work with your installation key. Microsoft does not make full installation images available to customers. Basically it's understood that you purchase the install medium itself, not just the license.

Yes, I know this is stupid. Don't ask me why they do it this way...

Edit: I think evaluation versions can act as rescue disks. But unfortunately there is no evaluation version of XP 32-bit available.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You can get Windows 7 SP1 official ISO's from Digital River via these links:

http://techdows.com/2011/07/downloa...h-sp1-iso-official-direct-download-links.html

I bought Win 7 and then a few years later downloaded these to save me time when I reinstalled/reformatted. They work fine with your purchased license key, etc. But I don't see anything similar for XP, so I have to assume that it doesn't exist. Kinda strange, but so it would seem...

17. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

If you have a damaged recovery disk a call to your PC manufacture should provide a way to get a new one. Thats for sure the first thing I would do.

Besides that,

There are lots of XP OS installation disks available for purchase on Amazon and eBay. Many are OEM and some are new, unactivated, retail versions. I would suggest that you make sure you know which will work for your purpose before you buy. The best way to do this would be to contact MS to find out which is the proper disk for you.

18. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies. MS doesn,t care about the customers, they only care for the money, sadly.

I will try to contact the PC manufacturer( Toshiba) but unfortunately here in Saudi Arabia, all of these things are done through third party sellers so I don,t expect a positive outcome.

The last thing may be to borrow an OEM disk from any one and use my key with it but I am not sure if it,s OK legally and ethically.

I really don,t need XP as I have a spare copy of Win 7 that will run fine on this laptop as well and also I use Ubuntu mainly but I like to do sometimes malware testing on XP.

20. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

If you are using a proper Windows installation cd, rather than a recovery cd which restores a system to the factory bought state, then it will be fine legally, since you will be using your own product key to install Windows.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, finally good news. Thanks to Allah, I was able to make a restore from recovery CD after many attempts. seems ghost image file over it is intact some other file related to partition, disk management are damaged( just my guess). I formatted my HD and made it Active via PartedMagic and did a restore of the recovery CD over it.

I immediately made an image of the system via Acronis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.