Windows Worms Doors Cleaner question?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Birdman, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I decided to give this little program a shot after reading that many people use it here to 'harden' their XP. However I encountered a couple of issues (using Xp-sp3 + direct modem DSL connection-single pc):

1. When I disabled NetBIOS....my Norton Internet Security 2009 FAILED to start on reboot. Also when I opened up my First Defense-ISR, it was also "disabled."

As soon as I enabled NetBIOS and rebooted, both programs were working fine again.

2. I noticed a bit of a lag/slow-down in my internet surfing and page display when I disabled DCOM (port 135) and/or RPC Locator (port 445).

Could disabling one or both of these ports might cause some slowdown to web surfing?

Is it SAFE to leave those 2 ports enabled?

Attached Files:

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

There have been known exploits I believe on both ports 135 and 445. I have used WWDC on countless machines, with nothing like you describe. WWDC is just an easy tool to use rather than do it manually in the registry.

More than likely, leaving those ports open behind a router will cause no issue. It is just a matter of principle. I don't need them open, so I close them. I close/shutdown anything I don't need especially those that pose even the slightest risk.

Offhand I don't remember what uses those ports. I researched them when I learned of them, and for my use I found I did not need them.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.