Windows updates?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rilla927, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

When doing windows updates, I always see the "optional" section of updates:

What is the difference?

I just bought a brand new Canon printer MX922 all in one and after I installed the drivers from Canon then I see this huge update through windows for the MX922. How can windows provide a update when they are not the manufacturer? Should these be installed?

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Windows updates is checking for driver updates also and lists them under Optional Updates section. If you don't feel comfortable to let Windows update your drivers you can right-click and hide this update. If you installed drivers from CD, you can go to Canon's website and check if they have newer drivers. You can then download and install them from their site.

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Microsoft offers updates for a surprising number of things these days. Even if the printer was new in the box it's manufacture date could be a bit older. Based on my experience with Windows updates it's probably okay, but the Canon website should have more info such as what issues the new driver is supposed to address. Some driver updates can be quite large.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

WU Device.png

You may opt out from Windows Updates offering drivers for other than specifically for the installed device or devices. This avoids bad drivers and other issues.

This is an advanced user setting. Do not do this at home unless you are entirely comfortable with the process.

5. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

Just grab the drivers off the manufactures site. The drivers through Windows Update aren't bad, but they're also usually a tad outdated than what you can just grab from the manufacture's site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.