Windows Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Windows wants to install critical update KB978542 & fails. This seems to be for Outlook & Windows Mail. I do not have either.

I'm running Win7 64 bit. How can I get Windows Update to ignore this, or install the update?
    Windows update gives code 80070643. This seems to belong to either Office 2003 or netframework.

Thanks
    Rico

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Rico, first, although the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-030 title heading is: Vulnerability in Outlook Express and Windows Mail Could Allow Remote Code Execution (978542), the summary states:
    Win7 64-bit comes with Windows Live Mail (at least mine did!), thus why you see the update.

To hide any update, right click on the item listed and choose Hide Update. You can undo this action via the Restore Hidden Updates link, in the Windows Update window.

3. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

No, Windows 7 does not come with Windows Live Mail included. The Windows Live Essentials suite must have been preloaded by your PC manufacturer.

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

JRViejo - Thanks! Silly Rico, did not think about hiding, but its hide now. Found that M$ update icon annoying.

Ravi16aug - Thanks! I did not find "Windows Live Essentials" at add/remove, also Windows Installer Clean-Up makes no mention.

I'm using Thunderbird's Shredder for email, so I guess this KB does not affect me. But would like to find out why M$ update thinks i need it?

Take Care
    Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.