Windows Update vs. Microsoft Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LenC, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Until recently, I was updating windows XP using the standard windows update tool...

http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

I saw an invitation on the webpage to convert to Microsoft update. The promise was that I could check for updates for windows and all microsoft products at once. Sounded like a good idea:cautious:

Whenever I check for updates now, the process takes forever and usually ends with an error message about being unable to connect to server. I'd really like to go back to the old windows update. When I now click on "express update", I get the following url...

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

I tried retyping the url to reflect windowsupdate, but the url reverts back to the microsoftupdate.

Any thoughts as to how I can ditch microsoft update?

Thanks,
    Len

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

THANK YOU! and goodbye to microsoft upate:cool:

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I have never found MS Update to work on XP as I feel it should. Certainly not as smooth as Windows Update. Not to mention that MS had some fairly major issues the thing causing nasty PC slowdowns if it was set to Auto. I no longer use it on any XP PC I work with.

(AFAIK, MS Update is the default setting for Vista.)

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I never had any problems with it updating either on XP or now on Vista, however, I will say that it was painfully slow on my old PC with XP. On Vista it is extremely fast, so no issues, and it updates my Vista as well as Office products, so I use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.