Windows Server 2003 as workstation

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WSFuser, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I knows theres several guides for such a purpose, but do any Wilders members have their own tips/advice?

Also have you found any software that does not work on Win2k3? What alternative did you choose?

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi WSFuser,

For me, the biggest challenge was finding hardware (mobo, graphics, audio) drivers that worked. The hardware combo that worked best for me was an NVIDIA nForce4 chipset, using Realtek onboard audio, and a GeForce 7600 (SLI) class graphics card. AMD's drivers for my FX55 processor installed with no problem. ATI Catalyst and Creative drivers never successfully installed for me. NVIDIA's chipset driver support for 2003 is pretty much limited to its nForce4 chipset.

At the moment, I only have some basic software installed: VMware 5.5, SpeedFan, WinRar, Opera, Thunderbird, PerfecDisk, Image for Windows, Eraser, and ProSecurity 1.26.1. All work well. As a guide, I used How to convert your Windows Server 2003...to a Workstation!. Overall, I am very pleased with the results.

Nick

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

One handy tool is the win2003 optimize tool which makes it easy to enable/disable many features.
    Another handy tool is the xp conversion tool from windowsxlive which lets you convert 2003 into xp so pretty much any xp app will run on it.

4. WSFuser

@nick - i have a similar setup so i think i might be ok regarding drivers.

@farmerlee - i will look into those two apps.

thanks to you both.

5. farmerlee

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Why would you want to run 2003 as a Workstation, far less hassle to configure XP to be more like 2003.

7. WSFuser

i just want to do it for the experience, to learn, and to try the OS.

8. farmerlee

From what i've read and from personal experience 2003 just sees to run a whole lot better than xp. My system feels faster and games seem to run better as well. Converting it to a workstation is simple,with the tools available its all done automatically for you.

9. WSFuser

if my hardware has no server 2003 (32-bit) driver, is it ok to use the xp driver?

the hardware in question is my nvidia graphics and hp printer.

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Explicitly stated hardware support for 2003 is pretty rare. I had no problems using the XP drivers for my NVIDIA graphics card and Canon printer.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.