Windows Security Center does not detect NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by angelo_lopes, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angelo_lopes

angelo_lopes Registered Member

I had to repair a Windows XP Professional instalation using XP's CD automatic recovery.
    After restarting, Windows Security Center keeps displaying the ballon "no antivirus software detected".
    I have NOD32 2.12.3 (No portuguese 2.50.25 yet :-(

I know XP detects NOD32, but now I can't make it detect NOD32.
    After repair, WinXP lost SP2 installation, so I reinstalled WinXP SP2, all Windows Update Critical and Optional updates, but the ballon keeps popping up.
    I reinstalled NOD32 over the previous installation. No go. I uninstalled NOD32, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted, no go.

Any suggestion, please?
    TIA

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

This is not specific to Nod32, I have one machine with Look ‘n’ Stop firewall not recognised by the Security Centre here at home, and both machines are identical in setup (hardware and software) except the hard drives.

So, if you do find an answer, let me know...

Cheers :D

3. burf

burf Registered Member

Angelo - - You might just try sp2 tech support, since it happened as the result of an XP repair. It's still free on their website...

Code:
    http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6794

4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Might be something that went awry with the repair. I dont use the Windows Security Center any more, but when I did, NOD32 would always show up.

I would try the link provided by burf.

Did you happen to try a system restore first prior to the repair? Or were you not able to even boot into Windows?

5. angelo_lopes

Thank you everybody for replying :)

Blackspear: It's off topic, I know, but should anyone have an idea on how to fix it, and everybody searching "our" NG would benefit.
    I gave it another try, uninstalling again NOD32, rebooting, cleaning ESET's and NOD32 entries in the registry, rebooting again and reinstalling NOD32 to no avail.

I wrote SP2 tech support (thanks burf, I have the ticket) and I will come here with their answer.

Jaguar, restoring would not solve the problem I had. I installed XP on an old machine, with BIOS APM disabled. In this situation XP installer "thinks" your computer is a Standard PC and not an ACPI PC. The PC was working fine, I installed all applications, AV, Windows Update critical and optional patches I need, rebooted I don't know how many times, and the first time I tried to shut down, it reboot. I checked all the registry keys that would affect this, searched the net, M$, and the suggestion was to format and reinstall. After so many hours - big mistake - I gave "repair" a try :oops:

Cheers

6. Brian N

Brian N Guest

It detects it just fine on my comp.
    Besides I do not think Windows actually have a list of all avaliable antivirus programs - Instead the programs tells Windows they are installed and working properly.

Atleast thats how I think it works :)

7. burf

burf Registered Member

My experience with the techs... they'll have you do all types of useless things, that you know have nothing to do with the issue, before they finally get it, and help solve the problem ;)
    More often than not, they've helped me figure out a fix, rather than them actually giving the fix. In any event, they've been helpful, and all my sp2 issues have finally been resolved.

good luck, hombre...

8. Blackspear

Unless the problem is specific and that specific problem is a known issue, then it becomes a process of elimination...

9. burf

burf Registered Member

Very true... but even with specific issues, they ask you to do unrelated tasks.
    And if you've already eliminated many possible scenarios, they still have you go through those steps, you've already eliminated.

They probably have checklists to go through, but it often wastes a lot of time, until they get to the specific problem. I understand that with most computer users, who know little about computers... but with experienced users, it can get annoying.

Cheer to you, too ;)

10. angelo_lopes

I absolutely agree with you, 'burf', but...
    This morning, quite soon I must say (8AM), microsoft called me. They said SP2 is an operating system. 85% different from Windows XP. I repaired Windows XP SP2 with "another" operating system CD! Actually I did not slip stream the service pack into the installation files, so it was my fault.
    After, the guy said NOD32 is not detected by Windows Security Center. I teached him that this is not true, and he told me to:
    1. Disable Windows Security Center checking antivirus protection.
    2. reboot
    3. update antivirus
    4. Enable Windows Security Center checking antivirus protection.
    If the problem will not go away, I must format HDD and install XP from scratch.

Blackspear, you may want give this suggestion a try regarding your firewall.
    I will do it next weekend for the AV, as I don't have the machine with me.

Cheers,

11. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Ahh no slipstream? :eek:

LOL, J/K. At least you know what you have to do now.

Keep us posted on your progress. However I can tell you that I have seen NOD32 recognized by the Windows Security Center on multiple machines that I have tested it out on. ;)

12. Blackspear

Well I have tried that, without success, so now it will have monitoring turned off.

13. angelo_lopes

LOL. I never need it before (slipstream)! I prefer to ghost the disks. When I have problems, I mount the faulty disk on a healthy machine CD-Rom to make a last minute backup, and just restore the image and the backup. It's much faster then repairing. Tomorrow I'm gonna build WinXP SP2 plus all updates installation CD. I still have friends not running Debian/ KDE :D

On my firm I have 200 NOD32 licenses, at home 3, lots of friends and family with NOD32, *all* with SP2 and before I never saw WinXP not recognizing NOD.

PS. What does J/K stands for? If you can't write in portuguese, I accept English, VISA, etc... ;)

Regards,

14. angelo_lopes

My Friend brought me the computer, and I managed to solve the problem this way:
    1. Uninstal SP2
    2. reboot
    3. uninstall NOD32
    4. reboot
    5. Install SP2
    6. reboot
    7. Update Windows
    8. reboot
    9. Install NOD32
    10. reboot
    And voilá! Windows Security Center now detects NOD32

Thank you very much everybody for your input.
    Warm regards,

15. zashita

zashita Registered Member

Nice to see you solved your problem, and to share the solution ;)

16. Blackspear

Thank angelo_lopes for reporting back on your fix.

17. angelo_lopes

You're wellcome :) Shall you try it for your look'n'stop firewall problem, please write us your feedback. It will inflate your registry a bit, though.

Cheers :-*

18. Blackspear

I'm going to leave it in this case, it's not worth the hassle, I've just turned monitoring off, I got by without monitoring for 10 years, I can get by without it now ;) :D

19. angelo_lopes

If my problem was on _my_ computer, I would do exactly the same. You're absolutely right, not worth the hassle <gr> :D :D

Have a nice weekend,
    ;)

20. Blackspear

I will, and you too.

21. whistl3r

whistl3r Registered Member

lol, The infamous ignorant Tech support guy.... why does he even have job, I deal with sooo many narrow minded techies that put us REAL techies to shame :(

Thanks for the information. I will definatly give that a shot and see what happens.

Strange thing is NOD32 installed fine and was detected right away with SP2 installed. Later I came across a problem and had to roll back the system and for some unknown reason Security Center could would not detect NOD32 for the life of me, I uninstalled and reinstalled countless times. This definately has something to do with SP2, maybe a signature file?

22. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

Why would you be worry if Windows Security Center does not detect NOD 32? I disable that and I don't need to worry about Window telling me that it's don't detect a anti-virus running. I know NOD 32 is running, so I don't need a "computer that only does what it was program to do"

Don't worry about what window says, but you know NOD 32 is working, so sleep tight at night. :)

23. whistl3r

It's annoying. Every time windows starts WS says "hey... I cant find a virus program...!!! click me to fix it". I could tell it that I have my own installed, but really whats the point of having WS (SP2) installed when it's not half ass functional. I don't know.....

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You can disable those warnings in the control panel security settings.

Attached Files:

25. whistl3r

sigh... missed my point :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.