Windows recovery tools

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

If you ever wondered what you need to do if your Windows goes kaput, here it is; a tutorial presenting a large number of rescue, recovery and repair tools for Windows, inclduing XP and 7, covering topics like fixing MBR, recovery console and its advanced options, bootable live CDs, Linux tools, system imaging and data backup strategy, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-recovery.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Useful resource. Thank you

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

there are some extra commands which are useful for the windows bootloader if the bootrec /fixmbr doesnt give you a bootable system
    there is bootrec.exe /FixBoot and bootrec.exe /scanos

a useful tip: if you run /fixboot or /scanos and get the error element not found you will need to use diskpart or another partition utility to set the partition you want to boot from as active.
    this sometimes happerns if you dualboot and the other operating system you remove was set as active partition.

since alot of oem machines dont come with a windows disc i feel the following links will be useful:
    vista recovery disc
    windows 7 recovery disc
    While you cannot reinstall windows from the above .iso files you still have access to the recovery options so you can fix the bootloader and other things.

hope this helps improve your article.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  4. Mrkvonic

Sounds good, I'll check it out.
    Mrk

5. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I found that Gparted is great for changing a partition to active. It's under partition>manage flags. Instead of Active, Gparted calls it Boot.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screens/gparted_11.png

6. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

Nice article. I wonder though if the recovery tools can still be accessed if the 100mb recovery tools partition isn't made, i.e. pre-partition the drive and install Windows 7 on a single partition.

7. Mrkvonic

In that case, I think you need the DVD.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.