Windows Phone to overtake the iPhone? It will happen.

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Windows Phone to overtake the iPhone? It will happen.
    http://blogs.computerworld.com/windows-phone/22287/windows-phone-overtake-iphone-it-will-happen

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Nothing more then pure speculation. There is no concrete basis or proof to back up such a ludicrous prediction given the pace of apple's marketing plus successful sales returns.

Yet another airhead group once again releasing statements for publicity ratings.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

True, nobody has any idea what the future holds. However I can say that I have no intention of giving up my Windows phone for anything from Apple or Google.

4. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I would buy an iPhone before even thinking of buying a Windows Phone.

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Which is the kind of thinking Apple (and every marketing department in the universe) is hoping for - brand loyalty closing minds, clouding judgments, and biasing consumer decisions.

Sorry chrisretusn, but you sound like my dad who got mad at General Motors for a Buick he had in the early 70s that left him stranded one day. He swore he would never buy a GM product again - and he never did.

Brand loyalty gets in the way of sound purchasing decisions. I prefer Intel CPUs but I will not let that keep me from buying AMD. I prefer Samsung monitors and TVs but I will not let that keep me from buying Viewsonic monitors or Sony TVs.

Brand loyalty is okay - especially if based on empirical evidence for product reliability (a sure sign of quality). But it means you may miss out on something better if that blind loyalty blocks other brands from even being considered.

I like my Android phone, but when I am ready to replace it, I will certainly consider all the options available. And when the time comes, if Apple, Microsoft, or even Blackberry has something that will make my day easier - at a competitive price, that's what I go with. The name on the case matters little (especially in a world of OEM makers).

If a particular brand of phone had a documented history of breaking, lousy sound quality, dropping calls, scrambling text messages, corrupting my saved music, or taking photos of the inside of my pocket all the time, and their newest offerings made no attempt to correct those issues, then I might not even consider them. But the fact of the matter is, if a company produced lousy products, they would not be a company for long - not when there is stiff competition.

Now for sure, I am not above criticism for I am highly biased AGAINST Apple. For decades they have been the epitome of proprietary. For decades, Apple has been forcing its customers to buy ONLY expensive Apple branded parts and upgrades (even Apple branded software) leaving consumers with next to nothing for options - suing and treading on anyone who gets in their way. User options are minimal at best. Even simple aesthetic customizations were often totally blocked.

But the fact is, as an electronics technician I accept, and respect Apple for consistently over the decades making reliable products that get the job done. So while I really don't like Apple the company, that does not mean I will not "think" about getting an iPhone next time I go shopping for a new phone.

And for sure, there are many things about Microsoft, the company, especially when it comes to marketing tactics, that I despise (and they know it too). But the fact is, they make good products. For that reason, while I like my Android, I will certainly think about, and look at Microsoft's offerings when the time comes for a new phone.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Bla bla bla vested interest bla bla bla.
    Mrk

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Now this was a weird post. :)

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I think MS share now is <3%. Who knows what'll be in 2017.

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

That's very unlikely. What's also unlikely is that OS X will take over the Windows OS market share, it won't happen anytime soon. :D

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, Apple has no desire to increase their market share. If they did, they would have dropped their prices and grabbed a chunk while they can. They are happy with their current market segment as is....

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Not to go Offtopic but upgrading OSX (Lion to Mountain Lion) isn't really expensive. :)

Or were you talking about the iPhone perhaps :doubt:

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

No, I guess I was off topic talking about their desktop market share...

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Ah in that case, yes you were ;)

14. Well, some things do not change, but without insight in the scenario data is indeed speculation, some forces supporting this Windows Mobile Growth Scenario.

Iron law of the generation token
    iPhone: is the token of the 'cool' and 'succesfull' generation, generation studies tell us next generations (say every 7 year birth interval period) will use a DIFFERENT token, just for identity and differentiation's sake.

Look at Nokia, sales replaced innovation. Apple shifted how business was done twice, remember the mouse/WYSIWYG was a paradigm shift for PC's and the touchscreen/swiping was a business breakthrough for smart phone's. HUD and Voice are the next innovation in mobile phones and it is called Google Glass!

With the big man at the steering wheel gone and stock exchanges demanding results and Google attacking hard, I think Apple's growth and succes by default will be something of the past.

Iron law of the politics/prestige
    Huawei with its huge home-market (China) and low prices was able to break into Cisco network devices market and soon became the runner up. China becoming a large economic power, want's its own prestige token. Nokia has a large market share in China, so replacement market is a viable scenario. Nokia and Huawei are the two main vendors to support Windows Mobile.

Google has its own rival in China (Baidu) and its history with Chinese government. So politic forces (factory locations, government contracts) are not going to be granted to Google/Android. Largest Android based manufacturers come from surrounding Asian countries. Countries which compete in growth with China. So do the math and maybe you will conclude another breeze in the sails of Huawei/Nokia/Microsoft ship in China.

The incredible potential sales in China, should apply economy of scale advantages. Price is allways a solid sales argument (that is how Android started remember). Low price could be a stepping stone to gain market share in other parts of the world.

Regards Kees

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.