windows move up with each open

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by 842x5, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 842x5

842x5 Registered Member

Hi Folks,

this is a nuisance that I have on one of my WinXP boxes. Some of the programs - for instance Irfan Viewer - move their window up a little bit each time I open the program. It is not a virus, I'm pretty sure.
    So I have to move the window down again after a couple of executions when the window touches the upper edge of the screen. I have tried different screen resolutions but it didn't improve.

Has anybody seen such behavior before?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

and all windows, any software, move on open? If you open the window via keyboard does it still occur? Try creating another user profile and see if it happens there as well (in case there is some corruption)

3. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you mean, but I've found that to be completely normal behavior on XP.
    Not 'moving up' necessarily, but Explorer windows and many program GUI windows don't always open in the same spot every time.

Some program windows do, but that's usually because there are settings in an .ini file for that program that tells them where to open and what size to be.

IrfanView is one such program. Those settings can be customized. Open the file with a text editor, such as Notepad.
    Here are my relevant settings for IrfanView (just as an example):

[WinPosition]
    xKoord=507
    yKoord=0
    Width=495
    Height=562
    Maximized=1

If you do play around with such settings, you may want to first write down what they are now, so you can always put them back how they were when you found them if need be.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Count me in, it happens for example to my OpenDNS client updater.
    I close the client, and then I re-open and swoops it's somewhere else on the screen. Magic huh...:D

BTW I use XP Home 32bit :)

5. 842x5

842x5 Registered Member

sorry I was offline some time...
    You mention Irfan View, too. On most of my WinXP (XP32 professional) boxes it opens at the exact same position when I launch it again. Just on one system it keeps moving up a couple of pixels every time I launch it. The vertical movement is approx the height of the window title bar. It has nothing to do with unintentional movement with the mouse. It happens also when I select the desktop icon and then hit enter on the keyboard to launch it.
    All boxes have the exact same config for Irfan View. All installations are the same version. It's weird. Maybe it is related to the graphics hardware or driver ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.