Windows features configuring randomly at shutdown?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wutsup, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

So I was shutting down my Windows 7 laptop and during the shutdown screen it said it was configuring Windows Features and it was stuck at 15%. The weird thing is I didn't change anything in Windows features before shutting down.

Since it was stuck at 15% I just did a force shut down. And then upon restarting I get asked if I want to restart in safe mode or just normal windows and I chose normal windows. And then at the welcome screen, it said it was undoing any changes done to the windows features since I forced shutdown.

I checked every settings and programs and stuff to see if anything was missing or messed up and everything seems the same as before this incident. Can anyone explain what happened?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

that could have been part of windows update process as it updates various files. when you said it got stuck on 15% how long was it for? If service pack was installing it can up to an hour and several reboots

3. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

It wasn't SP1 installing. Windows update was already up to date and no updates needed. Do you think I could've messed something up because I forced shutdown while it was doind that Windows features process?

4. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

boot your comp up to the desktop, leave it for 10 or 20 mins then run the system file checker

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It is possible as you can imagine but if the computer is working ok maybe there was no real damage done. Redo Windows update and this time leave it be ;)

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding it being stuck at 15%, one thing to long for is hard drive activity. Sometimes the progress readout for updates doesn't change for a while and then makes big jumps. If the hard disk is active that suggests the process is not stuck. Most likely it was something from Windows Update. I've not seen or heard of any malware that mimics this process.

I would run Windows Update and look at the history. That will tell you if an update was in progress and failed when you shut down the PC.

7. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

I checked Windows update and no failed updates and everything is up to date. And it wasn't windows updates, it was windows features. I did disable some things in windows features like the gadgets, but I did that a few days and already restarted. I didn't change anymore windows features settings after that so I don't know why it would do it again.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

See if anything shows in the Event Viewer...

Right-click Computer/Management/Event Viewer/Windows Logs

9. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

Ok, under System logs, it says NTFS and Kernel Power. and it just says the computer was shutdown which was done by me manually since I thought it was stuck at 15%. Nothing seems to be wrong with my laptop or windows updates or anything though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.