Windows Fake Updates !!!!!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ElizaT, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElizaT

ElizaT Registered Member

Last night I recieved in my computer a notification in the right corner to update windows, they were 12 or 13 updates to install(mostly security updates), after I installed them, the computer opened but was frosed(coudn't open anything in it, mouse was frosed too), also during opening it made a strange noise. In safe mode the computer was working properly, so I entered and uninstalled these updates and after the restart the computer worked properly again. I write this here for the people to be aware of this new threat if they are not aware already. Have a nice day !

2. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Fortunately, hysteria is not contageous :D

3. ElizaT

ElizaT Registered Member

but viruses are contagious and if this happend to your computer u woudn't write here to insult people or u have something decent to say in reply or go make fun and insult people somwhere else , I don't think attacking someone privacy and hacking its computer is something to joke about.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Sorry OP you're new here & complaining about malware. So automatically a lot of us think this is Error 01 (user error). And that this computer has not been secure for a while.

5. ElizaT

ElizaT Registered Member

I'm using a new antivirus recently(not nod) and is working very good so far, the windows updates notification appeared again today with the same 12 updates which of course I didn't install. Have to mention also that in my other laptops these updates from windows don't appear, I don't think that windows have preferential updates for each user computer. My antivirus detected 2 intruders plus many spywares since I installed it few weeks ago, I use the antivirus firewall not the windows firewall. I was not complaining , was just saying what happend to me in order for this to not happen to others too that's all and maybe I can find out more about from where this come from, I doubt this is an error but thanks anyways.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Here are a few suggestions for getting to the bottom of this. First scan your computer with additional antimalware apps. I suggest Malwarebytes Antimalware (do a "full scan") and Kaspersky TDSSkiller. These are both free and can be downloaded from any reputable software site (I like softpedia.com). You need to make sure the system is clean and you can't count on only your installed AV.

Next post a screenshot of the updates that you're seeing in "Windows Updates" for your computer. It's quite unlikely that Windows Updates has been hijacked and the updates are bogus. What is more likely is there's a specific update that's causing the problem. The way to deal with that is install them one at a time. But make sure the system is clean first!

And by the way, what is the name of your new antivirus?

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

It would seem to me that if these phony updates only appear on one computer, you have a nasty lurking on the one computer that your AV doesn't see. You don't mention which AV you use. It's suspicious to me that you just installed the AV and then got this problem. I suggest you download free Malwarebytes anti-spyware and do a thorough scan. If there's something there Malwarebytes should find it.

8. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am not sure if the problems that I saw yesterday are anything related to the OP's problems.

I have three Windows XP Pro SP3 (32 bit) PC's. I used IE8's Windows Update to do the Patch Tuesday Windows Critical Updates. Only one of my PC's Windows Updates process went without problems. The other two PC's Windows Updates had one or more IE8 hangs/lockups after Microsoft asked to install the latest Windows Update. I had to Restart one of these two PC's to finally get the IE8 Windows Update process to work. The PC with no Windows Update issues did not ask for installation of the latest Windows Update.

Everything seems to be fine after the Windows Critical Updates finally got installed.

I then ran a Emsisoft Emergency Kit "Smart Scan" on the two PC's with the Windows Critical Updates problems and nothing was detected. I sometimes do one or more scans with Malware scanner(s) prior to making a Windows System Partition Image. I then did a Full Windows System Partition Image.

9. ElizaT

ElizaT Registered Member

ty, I will try to scan also with the antimalware apps u've mentioned about , but the windows updates I will install only from the original windows site from now on. For security reasons I prefer to not mention my antivirus, but its in the top 5 of the best antiviruses.

10. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Windows 7 here, when I go to check update says 14 updates are available. This might be something your computer got recently.

11. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Same here. And same on a Vista OS.
    The OP's problem doesn't seem to be the updates themselves but something wrong with his machine.

12. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

That's a new one...

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

No it's not a new one. You might be surprised to learn that more than 17% of the respondents to a fairly recent Wilders poll felt it was not wise to disclose their setups.
    Posting security setups a bad idea?
    One might sum up the feeling this way...

14. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

Yesterday was patch Tuesday and I had to install MS updates on all my PC's. Post a screenshots of the updates to see if they are real or fake. Also it's possible they were legitimate updates that broke something in your PC. This does happen from time to time.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

update: I just got 17 windows updates. Everything OK so far.

16. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Interesting.
    First time this issue crossed my mind. And last; I think it's ridiculous to worry about disclosing your AV. But... whatever tickles one's fancy.

17. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Well two pc in house, both received 14 valid windows updates this patch tuesday no issues at all.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The problem is sometimes withholding information makes it harder for others to give good advice. This might be one of those times, but we can't know for sure because the OP doesn't want us to :)

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Ah, but it is healthy to respect other's opinions, is it not, my friend? :)
    The OP obviously has his/her own reasons for keeping it on the downlow.
    I do think it would be helpful to know which AV, and if it is properly configured and updated.
    Perhaps if the OP wants more detailed assistance, that info will eventually be provided.

20. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

To call something ridiculous is not disrespect, it's putting names on things.
    There's a song called Love Is Ridiculous. I agree but I won't stop practicing it.

21. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

highly doubt they were in fact "fake" probably one of them had a conflict with something else on your system or with a driver hence you said it worked fine in safe mode. this makes me believe it was a conflict of a driver or service and not at all fake updates. and of course if one was causing a problem when you removed them it could fix the issue.

try installing them one at a time this time and see which one causes this issue then you can narrow down what and why it causing what. i highly doubt if they were from windows update directly they were in fact "fake" updates unless you have a rouge or similar but i have yet to actually see fake updates show up in windows updates.

22. ElizaT

ElizaT Registered Member

I had to reinstall windows and all the drivers, it might be a conflict between a driver and the antivirus I use, because when I set the av firewall and turn off windows firewall the computer made a strange noise and the mouse frosed again so I had to restart it . I will see now what will happen , the av is still scanning and find already 6 spywares from a roaming path app but the windows firewall is turned on , I don't know how the computer will react if I will turn the av firewall AV on again. Thanks everyone for the postive comments.

23. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Just a suggestion,you can turn off auto updates and not download and install automatically,then you can select and install them one at a time just in case there is a issue, you will know exactly which update has broken windows.

24. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I think too many people are overly paranoid when it comes to security. I'm happy to disclose my security setup - it is not existant. Well, I do occasional scans with Malwarebytes, but I have absolutely nothing in terms of real time protection other Windows firewall.

25. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

I had about 12 Windows Updates. No they are NOT fake. Its called Patch Tuesday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.