Windows DOC files

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Red Moon, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I have saved my curriculum vitae to my documents folder and am having trouble viewing the cv as it is in a DOC file format.Obviously i created the cv in microsoft office on another computer.
    I do not have microsoft office installed on my computer and would like to know if there are any programs which can help me to view the cv.

I have heard that kingsoft office is a good program to use.Does anyone have any opinions on kingsoft please or any other file viewers.

Thank You.

2. fax

fax Registered Member

3. The Red Moon

I wish to send my cv to organisations via email.
    Thanks for the links but the google docs viewer looks too impractical for me.The microsoft viewer seems to require another download for it to function correctly.

As i have stated ,i have kingsoft office downloaded,so maybe i should use that,but i was looking for something smaller .

4. fax

fax Registered Member

5. The Red Moon

I dont see how a cloud storage facility really helps me here.
    All i wish to do is have the ability to send my cv via email in a format the recipient can clearly understand,:cool:

6. er34

er34 Guest

As the file has been created in Microsoft Word, best would be to use Microsoft technologies to open/edit the file. With any other 3rd party product you may damage the file so that it no longer looks like the original vision.

MS Office Word Viewer (Excel and PowerPoint viewers are also available) is the best for this (already offered to you by fax). 100% sure it does not require anything else to be downloaded. Perhaps when you opened the link and started to download, it also asked you if you want to download something else (as other people who search for Word Viewer also downloaded something else). But no, Word Viewer works on its own - it is small download below 40 MB.

The other option (also mentioned by fax) is the free Office Web apps - this includes free limited versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. They are available via any modern web browser via the SkyDrive. All you need is MS account - no download required. With SkyDrive (Office Web apps) you can create new files, upload old ones, change files or share them.

7. er34

er34 Guest

DOC file is a format that anybody can clearly understand. All that is necessary is just to send the DOC file - it is not necessary for your machine to be able to open it (unless you want to read/edit it). Officially 98% of computers worldwide use some version of Microsoft Office (which includes Word and supports DOC/DOCX/DOCB formats).

The "cloud storage" SkyDrive includes the free version of Word/Excel/Powerpoint/OneNote. This allows you create new or edit old files, this also allows you upload files there and share them with a single link. The Share is similar to Google Drive's or Google Docs' but opens word.

Try it.

8. The Red Moon

Thank you very much for the excellent replies.
    I have MS wordpad installed and when i open my file with wordpad the text is a jumbled mess.Now supposing i sent this file anyway via email.would the recipient view the file in its proper format provided they have microsoft office installed.If this is the case then maybe i would not need a file viewer after all.

9. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ Beethoven1770

You could try copying the .DOC & then rename it to whatever.doc, Then rename the .DOC to .TXT & open it with Notepad

10. The Red Moon

how do i change the file type?

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Why are you making this so hard. To view it as your recipients will view your best bet is the MS Word Reader. Then you email the doc file to people most likely already have MS Word.

It is really simple.

Pete

12. CloneRanger

To rename the .DOC to .TXT you right click on the .DOC & change .DOC to .TXT like this ;)

d2t.png

& then open it with Notepad. If it looks OK you can then edit it too :thumb:

13. fax

fax Registered Member

As already explained skydrive include FREE word reader/editor.

14. The Red Moon

Yes just had a look at the word reader and it also requires a download of the compatibility pack so i will not be using that.

I have decided to install kingsoft office and it displays the cv just fine.:thumb:
    Thank You for your help.

15. er34

er34 Guest

That is complete nonsense. If anybody tries to edit doc file with Notepad, they will completely mess with the doc and then it will look like junk. DO NOT do this at all if you want your CV to look good. CV is supposed to have some formatting, not just plain text with absolutely nothing else. Notepad cannot handle this.

16. er34

er34 Guest

No, it does not require it. How do I explain it and how do I show it to you. You do not look at the right place.

Compatibility Pack is completely different product - it is "extension" to old Microsoft Office versions (e.g. Office 2003) that allows older versions to be able to read and save in the newer formats e.g. DOCX or XSLX.

The Viewers (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) are already version 2007 and they include in themselves the ability of open newer format. They do not need anything else.

17. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

18. fax

fax Registered Member

What a mess... Skydrive word reader do not need a MS word reader install! It's a pure web app. Probably the link given by the users above could have helped avoiding the confusion.

19. The Red Moon

Okay i have downloaded and installed MS word viewer and it works a treat plus it did not need the MS compatibility pack.
    Thank you everyone for the advice given.:thumb:

20. CloneRanger

@ er34

Well it worked for me ! But point taken ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.