Windows Defender

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JerryM, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Is Windows Defender necessary along with an AV and MBAM?
    Jerry

2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

No, turn it off.

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

^^^This! With an AV and MBAM, WD is beyond doubts unnecessary.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks.
    Jerry

5. iammike

iammike Registered Member

It is never a good idea to run more then 1 AV on the same PC, and even when running AV in combination with for example MBAM it's always a good idea to set exclusions in your AV for MBAM and exclusions for MBAM in your AV.

Example:

-http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138&st=0&p=417798&#entry417798-

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Interesting we mention here conflicts etc.

How many people when they install an av on their new laptop forget to turn off windows defender and yet run these 2 for months without noticing anything .

I myself installed an av and totally forgot about defender and had run as such for months before finally turning it off.

7. er34

er34 Guest

Hmm.. Microsoft are not some junk team made of stipid boys - they have made Windows Defender cooperate with antivirus sofware.
    Windows Defender that is in Windows Vista and Windows 7 cannot conflict with any antivirus product because it does not have its own driver and its interaction is on different level than the antivirus program. Additionally, its services starts with delay (by default is automatic-delayed start). So, you have nothing to worry about and whenever possible (and if your current AV allows that), you can run Windows Defender in Vista and 7 along with your existing AV.

In Windows 8 antivirus programs are made to automatically turn off Windows Defender for Win 8. This Windows Defender is 3rd generation Windows Defender (product version 4).
    Windows Defender in Vista is 1st generation WD, in Windows 7 it is 2nd generation WD.

Windows Defender in Windows 8 and MSE do have driver and they work differently and they could conflict with some 3rd party AV products (although I have seen them work fine with no issues). Only in this case they should be disabled/stopped/removed - in Windows 8 or with MSE.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi er34,

That is helpful. I somehow had the impression that Windows Defender would run with another AV.
    As it turned out Windows Defender was turned off. I am not sure if I did it or if my AV did it.o_O

Thanks,
    Jerry

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Windows defender in vista and 7 can run alongside some antivirus but some antivirus turn it off.

Windows defender in windows 8 is a full antivirus and should be turned off by all antivirus during install.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,
    I suspect that KIS turned it off.
    I would not bet our lives on that - However, I can think of some folks whose names would be known internationally that I would. And maybe wish I would lose.:D :D

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.