Windows 9 will bring back aero

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

IMO, this is truly disturbing...

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm sure they'll think of something even more disturbing after that... :D

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I hope that full cloud OS isn't true because if that ever happens, you can all be 1000% sure ill never use it. :cautious:

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What does a "full cloud OS" actually mean? If you think back to dumb terminals which had no internal storage and were fully dependent on server based services they were very limited. Google's ChromeBooks are also very limited and few people want them. Smartphones are actually an example of a good balance between local apps/storage and cloud based services and desktop PCs are not that different.

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I was thinking of something like everything is done in the cloud/servers and the PC does nothing more than just display the OS. (Like Office 360)
    But what you say is true, the "cloud" term is kinda overused and could mean a lot of things.

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Lawl, they boasted similar things for Surface RT sales... they neglected to mention the return rate after people discovered how little they could do with them.

I'm sure the same applies here, there is a reason that Chromebook marketshare is "too low to even be displayed" on graphs from netmarketshare, etc.

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I think that referring to the "US market for laptops under $300" is wrong. First, because this is restricting the discussion to a single country and also restricting it to a specific price range. This severely limits the usefulness of such a statistic.

9. NGRhodes

Yes your right, it is limited, but still correct.

Following your logic that means it is also not very useful to claim "few people want them" as Chromebooks are only sold in limited countries and prices ranges, where as Laptops are sold globally and at all price ranges (and that is ignoring lack of reference to statistics).

Cheers, Nick.

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Quite right - my "few people want them" comment is about as imprecise as it gets :cautious: I didn't mean to criticize Chromebooks per se, but to use them as an example of how this cloud model is limited and clearly hasn't become the dominant tech. The more dependent you are on the internet the more vulnerable you become to connection problems. Even wired connections are not 100% reliable and I wouldn't want to lose access to apps and data while my ISP is sorting things out. Wireless connections in public places are even more subject to glitches.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

To get back on topic, it's highly unlikely that a full cloud OS would be produced as a replacement for the core Windows line. It is more likely to be an offshoot OS using the Windows name. Probably targeted at super low price points.

12. NGRhodes

Also depends on what they mean by fully cloud.
    Data in the cloud is one thing, maybe major OS components deployed like Office 2013 can be ?

Cheers, Nick

13. moontan

moontan Registered Member

actually, the topic was about Aero for Win 9. :p

anyway, for the time being, Aero Glass seems like a good choice.
    but if you want more than just Aero or the Windows 8 flat look then you got to use some 3rd party skinning utility.

that' s one thing Linux has over Windows out-of-the-box: the ability to skin the OS.

but that's always been Windows' way; let 3rd parties handle that stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.