Windows 8 will be available on…

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

been runining it for the past week, and so far so good, love having hyper V built in.
    MSDN codes activated fine here:D

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Google Browser Sniffing is flagging IE 10, this will be an issue for some that run Do not track on by default.

This will be on ongoing issue as almost all sites sniff at least the referrer header. More as I know more.

3. guest

guest Guest

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/15/3244994/windows-8-trial-download-90-days-enterprise

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Good to know. I have been trying to get into TechNet all day and can't download or get keys. Servers are too busy and my connection at work is too slow. :(

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I think you're getting confused, or you haven't explained the issue you're experiencing properly. DNT is an HTTP header, it doesn't modify the user agent (also an HTTP header). It's far more likely whatever you're seeing (you didn't explain) is because the browser is brand new and being mis-detected by Google.

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

just tried the new RTM.

the video gaming framerate problems i had in the DP and CP have been fixed.
    so that's pretty awesome!

i think Win 8 is pretty good.

on the downside, they got rid of Aero.
    as a result, it's ugly as sin.
    not that Aero was pretty to start with.lol

it would be nice if Windows included ways to skin our OS.
    after all, many Linux distros come 'out of the box' with stuff like windows skinning, virtual monitors, etc.
    compared with the nice looks of some Linux distros, Windows looks like it was designed during the Cold War.
    but i digress. ;)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  8. xxJackxx

I just upgraded my laptop with the 64 bit version. It complained about Acronis 2012 so I had to uninstall first. Fortunately I made a backup before the upgrade. It did not complain about Sandboxie until after the upgrade. It does not work. Most of my software does not show up in the start screen. I'll leave it on until tomorrow to play with it, but ultimately I am going to roll back to the Acronis image I created. There are too many issues with things I had to remove I would rather not give up so at this point not at all worth it. :(

9. moontan

i spoke too fast.
    there's still a slight loss of framerates.

NVIDIA has only Preview drivers for Win 8 atm (302.80).
    i'll keep an image of Windows 8 and check the NVIDIA sites once in awhile for the new drivers.

10. xxJackxx

The 304.79 betas that were released for Windows 7 are working just fine for me. I am running a GTX 580 and having no problems. I installed Windows 8 on my desktop last night and it was a much different experience than on my laptop. Other than having to remove Sandboxie and Acronis 2012 for compatibility issues it works flawlessly on my desktop.

I recommend just going to the nVidia site and doing a driver search plugging in Windows 8 as the OS and pick your card type. No reason to use the 302.80.

11. moontan

tnx m8.
    i'll check it out.

on another note:
    has anyone tried to 'skin' Windows 8?

12. xxJackxx

Not yet, though I don't mind it myself. I expect Windowblinds will be updated for 8. I don't expect to see a lot of people working on custom skinning until the October release.

I cannot believe they are still using that Windows 95 pie chart when you open the properties dialog for a drive. Or that they are still using mostly Vista icons. o_O

13. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Did anybody else find Windows 8 desktop interface very dull and flat as compared to Windows 7's? I know they got rid of Aero, but they still could have done something to make Windows 8 interface look a bit modern.

The way it currently is, Windows 8 looks like Windows Vista's and Windows 7's ugly step sister.

14. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Indeed, it is ugly. It reminds me of classic XP theme. 8 is fast and reliable OS, but that GUI is just awful. It is like an iPhone covered in a toilet paper.

15. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

As I posted earlier a few months back, Winows 8 is compareable to the Windows Phone such as Nokia's Lumina, and frankly IMO I hate the thing, granted everything new needs the user to figure out how to work it, but really, this time, No Thanks! :blink: If you have a touch screen then OK, but why would you want greasy fingerprints all over a nice new $400 monitor screen is my question?

16. moontan

the first time i tried Win 8 i upgraded from Win 7.
    Win 8 deleted my skinning utility during the upgrade; UXStyle patcher.

ugly OS is ugly! ;)

17. xxJackxx

I think Windows 8 looks a lot like the "Watercolor" theme from Windows Whistler (the early XP betas). I actually like it. I prefer square corners and flat edges. I like that the toolbars are back to grey instead of being bluish. It is much easier to match to other colors. Now if I want to use a red or green theme it goes with the grey rather than the pale blue plastic looking toolbars of Vista/7. I like the retro feel of it.

18. moontan

i find the little close and minimize buttons, the tittle bar, to be ugly in the extreme.
    it's even uglier in an unselected windows.
    and of course, you can't change nothing but the colors.

i have always skinned Windows so that's not a big deal for me.
    i'll just wait for WindowsBlinds or other skinning utilities to be compatible with Win 8.

19. xxJackxx

I have to agree with that one. Plus the fact that the title bar text and the maximize and close buttons are black only. If you make the window frames black you can't see any of them. I am expecting a patch or 2 at some point.

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

21. Pretty good price, I'll probably upgrade.

22. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Even though Windows 8 looks and feels completely different, I do find it much more fluid and smoother than previous versions. I'll probably end up upgrading, because I like to stay current if I can, plus it's priced just right.

23. moontan

24. moontan

just tried the 304.79 beta driver a few minutes ago.
    it made no difference.

i would have probably got the upgrade to Windows 8, especially at 40$.
    but there's no way i'm gonna buy a new video card.

in all fairness, i am using a 5 years old computosaur.

so for most people this should not be a problem.

oh well. :(

25. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Windows 8 Enterprise RTM review - More fail

Doomsday approaching, and it's not the one marked on the Mayan calendar. Please try to enjoy a review of Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise Release-to-Manufacturing (RTM) Build 9200 90-day evaluation edition, with focus on installation, privacy settings and customization, new visual changes, and severe lack of logic and productivity in the user interface.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-8-enterprise-rtm-review.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.