Windows 8 and SSD

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Noob, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Recently purchased a new Vizio 14" laptop and i was wondering if there are any recommended settings to prolong the SSD life/performance.
    It comes with Windows 8 Signature (Will be upgrading to 8.1 later).

2. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Don't run loads of benchmarks on it, that really is all you need to do with a modern OS on a modern SSD.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Thanks. :D

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i use the Windows Defrag & Optimize utility.

the utility will defrag platter drives and Trim SSDs.

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

There is no need to defrag SSDs because of the way they write and access data. In fact, Windows 7 and 8 (which have scheduled defragging enabled by default) automatically disable defragging on SSDs. And note too with W7 and W8, Trim is enabled by default when the SSD is detected.

All defragging does is increase wear and tear on SSDs. It does not improve performance. Therefore, do NOT defrag your SSDs. There are many reports on this, but for a good read, see Fragging wonderful: The truth about defragging your SSD.

That said, nosirrah is absolutely right, with modern SSDs there's no need to worry about the life span of SSDs. Typically, even today's budget models have MTBF rate of 1,000,000 hours - that's a 114 years!!!

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well, to be honest with you guys, i disabled VSS because i never use it.
    What do you guys think about it? :D

7. Bill_Bright

I think that is a mistake and you should re-enable it immediately. While you may not use it, several Windows components do - like System Restore, not to mention Windows Explorer. The only rationale I can see for disabling VSS is if I made daily full image backups of my system - I and suspect maintaining a robust backup policy is not something you do.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Right, i never do system backups. I rely on external hard drives to backup my files every week or so, anything in between will probably be lost. o_O

9. Bill_Bright

Well, weekly is certainly better than nothing, and likely much better than what most users (even advanced experienced users :() do. So that is good. But still, I would enable it so the other components in Windows that use it, can use it.

10. Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh Goretsky Security Expert

Hello,

If you bought a Microsoft Signature PC from the Microsoft Store (as suggested by the fact that you mentioned your that your Vizio has Windows 8 Signature on it), then you should not really need to do anything; it will come pre-configured with whatever tweaks Vizio and Microsoft have determined are necessary for the computer.

The only suggestion I have is to keep on top of updates for things like the firmware for the laptop on Vizio's site, the firmware for the SSD from it's manufacturer's support site, and drivers from the various component manufacturers support web sites (AMD, Broadcom, Cirris Logic, Goodway, Intel, Quanta, Qualcomm, Sentelic, Synapatics ot whomever it might be) that actually make the individual components used by Vizio to assemble the notebook computer.

Oh, and be sure to keep up to date on backups as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

LowWaterMark: Replies added from Feb 28, 2014 and after, split to own thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2345925#post2345925

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.