Windows 8.1 outgoing firewall rules for Metro Apps

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zerotox, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Hi, guys,

After trying hard for a few days, I can't make out how to make outgoing rules for the Live Tiles in the Metro to update. When I click on an app, it connects out OK, but then when I click on the Start menu to see the tiles - they are not updating and doesn't show anything.
    Can someone help me with the outbound rules, please. I can't see exactly what process or service makes the connection for the Live Tiles to update.

2. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

You need to create 2 firewall rules for this:

1. One for svchost.exe to allow outbound connections on remote port 443, TCP protocol and these IP ranges 65.54.165.0-65.54.188.0, 131.253.61.60-131.253.61.89.

2. One for wwahost.exe to allow outbound connections on remote ports 80,443 on TCP protocol.

3. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Thank you very much! I have tried these rules - found them in the Windows Firewall Control thread but still did not get Live tiles to update. I will try them again.
    I read that there has to be a rule for Windows push notifications but I can't find which process or service is responsible for that.

P.S No, still doesn't work even with those two rules - Bing Weather and Finance again show nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.